Jollyboat mast boom sails rigging etc

Post your requirements here
rainbow

Jollyboat mast boom sails rigging etc

Post by rainbow »

Hi, I am in the process of restoring a 18ft Uffa Fox Jollyboat, finally after owning her for 3 years. I am looking for mast boom sails rigging that would suit her and any information about the Jollyboat, will be much appreciated.
Kind Regards Steve
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Jollyboat mast boom sails rigging etc

Post by Ed »

Hi Steve,

Good to hear about another jollyboat, what number is it? Any pictures? Any chance of a few words for the Jollyboat blogsite?

I might have a few bits, but most probably not that much of the main items that you might want.

Mast: Not really.......I do have an Int14 ex budgen twins mast. this is a big stiff Cirus, and could work well in a jollyboat if you were going to upgrade/stiffen the boat quite a bit. But I don't think it would work well as a direct swap. It is also a bit short, so you would need to build some raised base. My intention was to build a Jollyboat with a crew-deck, that would bring up the base of mast sufficiently to use this mast. But it would be a lot of work and require extensive re-building and re-rigging.

If you are looking to find a 2nd hand mast, there are various possible options, but in my opinion quite the best will be a Flying Fifteen mast. These drop straight in, giving 3 in more boom clearance and within the last set of class rules. Hounds and other bits all fit within rules. You want to try and find a stiffish one if you can as the Jollyboat main size is a little bigger than the FF.

Booms: Big Question is.....for aft or centre sheeting. If aft, the boom needs to be immensely long and they therefore tend to break or bend rather easily, hence they are rare to find. I don't have anything spare.

Rigging You need to find a mast first...then work out the rigging. I might have the odd bit here and there, but really it would be best to convert what comes with the mast or build new.

Sails Quite a few old sails hanging about, but nothing really worth using to be honest. Best bet for a set of cheapish sails for a Jollyboat is RJ sails in Cleveden. they have made at least 2 or 3 sets in last few years and they are very competitive price wise.

Rudder/tiller Maybe, would have to look around

Centreboard/plate Might have a centre-board, but certainly have a plate (or 3)

Trailer/Trolley Maybe, but would need quite a bit of welding and new despension units.

I think that is about it.

Thanks for PM, have answered it here.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Hi eib

Thank you for your quick response, there's plenty to think about which direction to go with the choice of mast etc. I will be taking photos of her and will gladly post them on the blog. My downfall is lack of knowledge, ideally I was thinking of a donor set up from another boat to transfer, looking for the easy option there I think, although the idea of fitting with the original parts would have been great.

I have a trailer, which was originally a caravan base galvanised, converting to a boat trailer. It is heavy duty, well overkill when it comes to the weight of the Jollyboat, but I know she will not sink on the road.

Rudder, Tiller and Centre board luckily I have already just need some TLC.

The Flying Fifteen mast maybe the way to go so will try to sort one of them. Another suggestion was using the 505 mast, rigging and sails etc. However, not sure if this was a good choice.

Thanks again
Kind Rerards Steve
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Steve, I have a complete rig for a Jollyboat, original Reynolds mast, bendy boom and sails (was hoping to use them on a possible rebuild but still waiting to hear from owner [ed LOL]

You should be able to fit them straight into your boat. I do have a steel centre plate that I won't be using again, as for a rudder, I have at least one spare blade but no stock although they are pretty easy to fabricate from ply.

If you are interested let me know

King Regards, Chris
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

If memory serves correctly.....

A 505 (and FD I think) mast are long enough.....but the hounds end up in the wrong place to be in the class rules, so you either have to re-position all the rigging to be in class, or use 505 sails and be out of class.

Whereas the FF being also a Uffa Fox design is basically the same rig and the mast is pretty much interchangeable, but a bit (6in?) too long, but as the JB class rules were changed to allow a few more inches of boom height....everything moves up and all the bits stay in the same relation and therefore in class.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the message, yes I am interested, fitting straight into the boat
sounds good to me, I have messaged you with contact details hope to chat soon.

Kind Regards Steve
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Hi eib

I have just looked and a photo of the Jolly boat is still on the Blog under 'boats for sale' it was a golden oak colour on the hull and have tried to keep the original colour outside and inside the Jollyboat, not been an easy task.

Thanks for the advice on the 505 mast and Chris from Suffolk may have another option, all sounds promising, at least I have a good idea what is needed thanks for the great response.

Kind Regards Steve
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Hi Chris

Thanks for meeting me at Roadford Lake with the mast, boom, rigging, sails etc. Now I have something to catch the wind with, I can now realistically get the boat on the water. Thanks again for the help and advice, I will keep you updated many thanks.

Kind Regards Steve
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Steve, glad to be able to help. Stick up the mast, patch the holes, haul up the sails and see us at a meeting!!!

Email me if you have any problems or questions.
Chrisrjwood
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Chrisrjwood

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi Steve, hope you are getting your JB together ok. Any thoughts on getting out to meetings this year?

Best regards, Chris
Chrisrjwood
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity