Jollyboat J94

Post your requirements here
rainbow

Jollyboat J94

Post by rainbow »

Jollyboat J94:- I purchased this boat on the understanding it is a J94, which does not mean a lot to me, can anyone tell me if this was a model number or batch number and inside the stern the number 127 is stamped again this could be the batch number, any information or help, to put me in the direction to gain knowledge would be much appreciated. As mentioned before still need the mast boom rigging sails etc for her to sail.

Kind Regards Steve
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Jollyboat J94

Post by Ed »

J94 is most probably the class registration number, and is 'normally' on the sail.

Of course there is no guarantee that this is the correct sail for the boat and therefore the correct number unless there is some other evidence of history/provenance.

It is not normal practice to put the class number on the boat as in other classes.

The number stamped into the transom is the Shell number, put in by Fairey Marine when moulded.

Many shells were sold unfinished to other boatbuilders/abroud/HMForces and did not therefore necessarily get class numbers or not for a lengthy time, so there is little correlation between hull and class number.

The number would suggest a late 50s build.

Send me some photos of the boat and I may be able to tell you more, for instance whether it was a Fairey finished boat.

cheers

eib

Where did you get J94 from and when. The number sounds rather familiar. I wonder if our paths have crossed in the past.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Yes in March 2011 the Jollyboat was on the blog with a photo, it was sold on Ebay came from looe in Cornwall.

Three years ago and only now have found the time to restore. The Jollyboat has been completely stripped and new decking with the stern being strengthened. The hull has two holes in her and am now in the process of repairing, firstly deciding on the best veneer to use. it came with some original fittings, which I aim to have re-chromed at some point, depending on how the original fitting will complement any new.

Will give an update on here how she is coming on may be of interest and any feedback be very welcome.

Kind Regards steve
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

yes, this is coming back to me a bit.

what colour was hull before you stripped her?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it