ok wanted

Post your requirements here
jonathanmark

ok wanted

Post by jonathanmark »

ok wanted, in northwest, up to £600 max, what have you got?
Alan P.

Re: ok wanted

Post by Alan P. »

Put a wanted on the class assoc site too. It's free.
You should get a sound usable OK within this budget.
1959, a very interesting and famous boat, is for sale in Staffordshire
The OK is a great boat and well worth the effort of searching out a good 'un.
Best of luck

http://www.okdinghy.co.uk/boatlist/boatlist.php
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
jonathanmark

Post by jonathanmark »

Thanks for that Alan I have spoken to him, sounds a good boat but he wants more than my budget. I have agreed to buy a composite (unseen) as it was a good price. Its probably an O`Donnell, but not sure. The owner doesnt know what the sail number is, (no certificate), and the sail has got the wrong number on it. Any idea where the number should be on the hull of a seventies/eighties built composite OK?
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

OKs must have their sail number cut either(depending on their age) into the hog, centreboard casing or forward cockpit bulkhead to be able to measure to class rules. Stands to reason that if there is no sail number anywhere then it probably has not been measured.

I do not know where Don O'Donnell got his glass hulls from but they certainly varied in quality from what I've seen. As far as I know he never laid any up himself and sometimes used to make up a kit of wood parts for an owner to deck and complete the boat at home. He did complete many a boat himself and, of course, build some very fine and quick all wood boats

Hope this helps. Let us see some pics of this boat or post them on the OK forum for help in identifying a maker. There is a lot of knowledge in the class about older boats. If you have a sail number, the class records might show something.
Keep us posted.
jonathanmark

Post by jonathanmark »

i have posted some photos on the OK website, of the OK I have bought, they were too big to be put on here, any ideas?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Is it this one? (Look out for the hornet!).........................:roll:

(I got url's off the picture in your post on the (new) the OK site by Right clicking each photo and copy/pasting the URL from the "Properties" tab.)

(Gosh the OK class seem to have been having fun with there hosting!)
Michael Brigg
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Errm. I've no idea of the builder.
I do not think it is an O'Donnell as the ones that i've seen/owned that have glass bulkheads had rebates in the moulding into which the inspection hatches were fitted. The centreboard does not look right to be an O'Donnell either.
The toe straps are very french in colour :lol: But actually, this got me thinking that just perhaps she might not be British ( the OK is truly an international class!)
Does she have a bulkhead under the foredeck, a some way behind the mast forming another compartment?. These became compulsory after 1983 I think. Composite boats tended not have them before this. The mast bearing opening on the deck has had a fillet put in. I wonder if the mast position has been moved back by a fair bit at some stage. Something that had to be done when boats were fitted with metal masts after having a wooden mast. The inspection hatches are very large which were very popular in the 1970's and before I think. Are the sidedecks raised slightly?
Nothing concrete I'm afraid. Just some initial thoughts on age.
I see on the OK forum that Richard (Burt) has asked some good questions. Someone may know this boat.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Good to see that you have had quite a response on the OK forum. I had a feeling somebody would know her. If they are right and she is 1886, then it looks as though I was wrong when I thought that she is NOT an O'Donnell. Certainly differs a little from the 1980's hulls. Very interesting. I would be surprised if the sail number is not on the hull. More than likely been obliterated by layers of paint, especially if it's on the floor where the hog would be on a wooden boat. Deck paint is high build stuff.
Anyway, welcome to the OK world.
jonathanmark

Post by jonathanmark »

Yes Alan, a good response, I will do a liitle careful scraping to see if i can find the number !!