Halyard wanted for Classic Finn with Needlespar mast.

Post your requirements here
David_HL

Halyard wanted for Classic Finn with Needlespar mast.

Post by David_HL »

Hi All,
Someone walked off with the halyard for my Finn sometime in January.

Before I measure up and get a new one made, I thought I'd ask if anyone had a spare one going?

It's a standard '70s era Needlespar mast with the 'v' shaped fitting near the top, to catch the 'crimped thinghie' on the wire. (OK, so I'm technical!) Or does anyone have the necessary measurements? A suggested source? Good advice? etc.
PeterV

Re: Halyard wanted for Classic Finn with Needlespar mast.

Post by PeterV »

David, I've always made up my own. The only crucial measurement is from the halyard lock fork to the headboard, which you can measure from your mast. The tail is from something fairly thin and light.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
David_HL

Post by David_HL »

Thanks Peter,
I was looking for an easy solution from the comfort of my desk. I've moved house recently
(as I think I've read that you have,) and my boats are now some distance away, while the guy who has the crimping device is even further, and is only there during his working day. So it's all a bit of a 'pavlova' to measure up. Hence my call to International Finn Rescue! I was hoping someone would say: "The distance from the halyard lock fork to the headboard on a Needlespar is always X.y cubits", and that would be that, and I'd get sailing sooner. The light tail I've had to replace before, but never the wire. Unless there's a modern solution other than a wire section from the headboard, with the small cylinder crimped onto it that fits the halyard lock fork?
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

David, I'm sorry I don't think there is astandard measurement but I could be wrong. There are modern alternatives but they're all internal as far as I know.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

To keep sailing while pending getting a wire one made to measure then dyneema with a knot tied in it to engage with the Vee-trap would work. It could not be replied upon to last very long though. However, you would be able to make it up on site yourself..
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

I and others have been using the dyneema rope with knot set up for some time with OKs. Eventually there is wear around the knot where it fits in the V cleat but if you start off with a goodly length of halyard, you can cut the knot off, reattach shackle to the "new" unworn end and put a new knot at the required spot again. A nice simple set up that's reliable.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
David_HL

Post by David_HL »

Thanks JPA and Alan. I was hoping someone would have tried Dyneema. What thickness would you advise so that the knot fits both the halyard lock fork and still runs through the mast head block?
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well I hadn't thought of that! Next time my wire frays I know what I'm going to do!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

4mm dia works for me. Excel D12 .Or the cheaper 16 plait polyester covered type but this is stiffer and may not run through the mast head pulley so easily although it is less prone to wear around the knot. Pays your money and takes your choice.

If you have more than one sail you use often, you can put a knot in for each sail if the headboard shapes are different so that all go to the max top black band.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
David_HL

Post by David_HL »

Alan and everyone,
Thank you very much for your help.