Transom pintle

Post your requirements here
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

The pin on the transom pintle on my Merlin 1728 is loose. It is 3/8" and is set into plastic/acetal. It has a triangular flange. Does anyone know of an effective repair or where I can get a new one. The pintles available all seem to be mounted on a square plate and I am reluctant to drill another set of holes. Chris has suggested drilling out a couple of holes at right angles to each other and pinning it but I am not sure if it will cure the wobble as the plastic seems a bit soft.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

if the plastic is black (and shiny) then the chances arethat this is the old Barton fitting. There may still be some around - seek and ye may find!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think I have one around. There were 2 sizes of plate, though. I think I have both somewhere, just let me know the hole spacings.
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

There is one at the bottow of WSC lake somewhere between bouy 3 and 4. I left it there last summer.

Your welcome to it if you can find it, otherwise I'm sure that Holt still make them (for mirors, ents etc). I'd recommend that you do switch to a more robust item though...
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The pintle seemed robust enough, John - it was what it was fixed to caused the problems!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Seems as if it is a Barton fitting and is only about £5 so not worth forking out for diving gear (or would snorkel kit be adequate)!!!!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

They are horrible fittings and in my humble opionion best avoided.

If you have to use them, as I have on one of my jollyboat rudders, I would certainly drill right through plastic into steel pin and put in a couple of self tappers. This still leaves it being a little wobbly, but at least it won't just fall out, which it can do without the pin.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garry Rucklidge</i>
<br />Seems as if it is a Barton fitting and is only about £5 so not worth forking out for diving gear (or would snorkel kit be adequate)!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just waiting for the weed to bring it back to the surface next July...:D and of course Rupert you were right - the fitting was stronger than the boat in this case..:(
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.