share hints, tips and experiences
Craig N

Rotten frame on Ent - Help!

Post by Craig N »

Hi Everyone,

I have just started a back to bare wood redo of the interior of my old ent,
and have found considerable rot in the frame part towards the rear of the
centreboard case which extends to the side of the hull (not sure what this
is called). My question is how is this generally secured to the hull? Is it screwed
on from the outside of the hull, or generally just glued on. I have been able to
identify the three screws which secure it to the centerboard case, and one at
the end near the hull, but no others. I am hoping that I am not too out of my
depth here - I was just imagining removing the existing frame, cutting another
out of marine ply and installing it.

There is also some rot (but perhaps only in the top one or two layers of the ply
beneath the support. Will I be OK to sand back and fill with epoxy + filler and then
varnish over the top?

I can take some photos if that would help.

Cheers,

Craig
Craig N

Re: Rotten frame on Ent - Help!

Post by Craig N »

Hi Everyone,

Here is a photo of the floor after frame has been removed. Any advice appreciated
as to what to do to the floor! I have scraped away all soft wood and what remains
seems sound.

Cheers,

Craig
Attachments
BOat.jpg
(101.39 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Craig, I have been waiting for Rupert or one of the other experts to reply but it looks to me as if the wood below said bracket is good. I would have thought the epoxy and filler route would be the one to go down. The frame was probably originally made of solid wood like mahogany or similar and I am not sure about marine ply for replacement. I am hoping someone else will jump in now and tell you the best route to go.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Craig N

Post by Craig N »

Thanks for your reply, Roger.

I have been doing a bit more reading through the archives about G4, and think I will go with that followed by varnish. I imagine it would be better to fill with epoxy then G4 over the top, or am I wrong? The frame was marine ply, which was probably asking for trouble, as it was sitting vertically. I am inclined to replace both sides with mahogany. Is this a good idea?

Cheers,

Craig
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry, been on my hols...
There would be no problem with using marine ply again, provided you seal the edges - I'm sure it will live as long as the rest of the boat! Solid wood would look prettier, though. If digging out rot from ply and filling with epoxy, put some rot stopping wood hardener on first, or the rot will carry on under the epoxy.
Rupert
Craig N

Post by Craig N »

Hi Rupert,

Thanks for your reply. Any particular recommendations for rot stopping wood hardener?

Cheers,

Craig