Boom track

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Having stripped off the paint from my wooden boom how do I make sure that I get varnish into the slot without blocking the free running of the mainsail and yet still get good coverage? I suppose that the same question can be asked about the mast. Any special varnish for masts/boom.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've just used well thinned varnish in the past, to stop too thick a build up. Someone else I knew swore by just using linseed oil in the track. I'm sure there are more hi-tec methods these days!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmmm....never got too worried about it really....

just a little well thinned varnish or indeed some linseed oil should be fine.

In my extremely humble opinion the varnish is as much to keep the UV out as the water and I don't think that much light gets down in the hole. If the mast is stored inside, then I really wouldn't bother much at all.....if the mast is stored outside, then yes I guess you might wish to consider some varnish.....but watch out....keeping wooden masts outside can be a bit of a problem anyway. They don't have any covering to keep UV off which leads to very fast degradation of varnish. Varnish is also water-permeable and water may well get into mast somehow sooner or later (especially if hollow which most racing masts are). If it then gets hot, especially on one side (due to boat being left pointing east-west say) then it is quite easy for mast to warp.

Not a problem for a few months in the summer, but I would worry about leaving mast up for too long a season. All in all wooden masts are much better kept inside....and for that matter I reckon boats are much better stored with the masts down anyway.

Just my thoughts

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it