Heron dinghy bits.

Post your requirements here
STEVEB

Heron dinghy bits.

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
I have just aquired a Heron hull in reasonably sound condition but with no sails, spars foils etc. I want to fit it out with buoyancy tanks rather than bags so I am looking for technical info and plans as well as the bits. The spars look similar to Mirror ones in the photos I have seen, could they be adapted to fit?
thanks
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
DavidC

Re: Heron dinghy bits.

Post by DavidC »

Hi Steve

The first thing to do is to go to the Heron website at http://www.heron-dinghy.org.uk/
There are class rules about what you can and can't do, but the class publish a wealth of information sheets. I think you will have to join the association (about £15 I think) but it will be worth it for the help you will get.

There are often second hand items that come up for sale and I am sure a request to the class might unearth many things! The heron has a bigger rig than the Mirror. I think the mast might possibly be adapted but the Mirror Gaff could be up to 400mm shorter so that would not transfer across.

See what the class can find yo, they are always trying to find lost Herons.

Cheers
David
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Thanks, I was hoping to have a chat with them at the show next weekend. I was thinking of making it into a mini cruising dinghy with front and rear tanks/lockers so class rules are not really a concern. It may well end up with Mirror sails as well
since I already have some
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
I have the offer of some spars etc but they are here;40 miles beyond the end of the M4 in Llandissilio Pembs , any suggestions about the best way to transport them eastwards towards me in middx?
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Depending on length carriers just seem not to want to take masts etc even new ones are delivered by the manufacturers. Had the same problem last week - Firefly mast had to be collected from Glasgow. 320mile round trip and the students who gave it to me never turned up!! Had to guess which one it was then fortunately a girl on their committee was doing a powerboat course and was able to point me in the right direction. Was a bit noisy getting it home on the roofrack!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Moral of the story, never strap girls on roofracks...
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

It was amazing - once she closed her mouth the noise stopped completely!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Steve B,

PANIC............ there was some spars that could well have come from a Heron, though equally they might have been Mirror. The work party last week (that nearly threw away Dave C's BoD Centreplate) may have put them in the skip. I'll try to get down to the club tomorrow and see if they've gone or not.

Where are you geographically speaking?????

Will 'strapaspartome' - much better than a girl on a roof rack (is that like girl on a motorcycle without the black leathers?)

D
David H
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi,
we are in Middx, near Heathrow often travel to Norfolk and sometimes to Yorkshire (next weekend-maybe)
Steve :P
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Not until now, well spotted
thanks
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
davidh

Post by davidh »

Steve,

I'm not sure if my other emails reached you..... I've been in the grips of 'upgrading' to Windows Vista... and then returning to the sanity of XP, so some emails may have gone astray.

I have some spars... could be for a mirror or heron, do you have the dimensions so I can check for you. If they are useable - to you or to anyone else, then they are free to a good home.

D
David H
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi David,
I have sent you a PM, Heron spars seem to have a distinctive design around the gooseneck region of the mast, if you can manage a photo of this area we should be able to identify them
thanks
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

Hi David,
any progress with pictures yet?, have PM'd you but not sure if the vista bug is biting again
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
davidh

Post by davidh »

Steve,

I've posted this on the main site as I'm sure one of the clever clogs will know the answers.

The spars that I have in my possession are...............

a circular section,, 50mm and 3270mm long, with a tenon on one end.

A gaff, 2300mm long, much bashed about.

are there Mirror or heron? Pass! (a sniff of an empty key lime pie plate for the correct answer)

photos to follow

D
David H