Paint advice - G4

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Re: Paint advice - G4

Post by Rupert »

I've used the V8 version of G4 with no trouble at all. It appears to be the same stuff, though I'm sure the manufacturers would each say their's is better!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Has anyone used G8 / V4 type products to re-surface a glassfibre hull? If so - did it work out OK?

john./
chris

Post by chris »

I haven't but I doubt if it would work. G4 needs moisture in the material to cue .
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I can confirm after some remedial work on Vivette that G4 does come off with the gentle application of heat followed by scraping!! I had a bleb of veneer come up near the transom which I cut into to find that it was full of water. I cut back the loose area completely and dried it out and then epoxied everything back again stapling with a plastc sheet on top and squeezing the veneer jigsaw back into place. Rising early this morning I cleaned up the excess epoxy with a hot chisel and the G4 finish went away with it and back to bare wood . A quick rub with sandpaper, a rub to clean up with acetone and another couple of coats of G4 before work and you can hardly see the joins - just like Ernie Wise's mystical hairpiece. So initial results on removal I woul say were positive