My 14 ft clinker. Blue Moon

share hints, tips and experiences
davidh

Re: My 14 ft clinker. Blue Moon

Post by davidh »

Michael,

I'm still digging for further details. The details that caught my eye were the way the mast came up through a forrard thwart, plus what looks to be some form of stern locker/seating arrangment.

I could just maybe squeeze out one more picture but then you'd have to lay down in a darkened room................

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've got my sunglasses on . I'm presuming this is a Clinker build.

I might add that I live next door to a policeman and if you do not show me more I am prepared to use new legislation introduced to force members of the press to divulge their scource of secret information. I'm sure I could make a case for protection against terrorism. Look at my comments on Aluminium Oxide and Rust in the debate about heavy and light plates! See "Alloy Centre Plate"
So, what is it that stands between most members of CVRDA and a swift extraordinary rendition to Guantanamo Bay? (Most of us I believe harbour at least two of the required elements for a Thermite bomb in the close association of our iron and aluminium plates!)
You've been warned!!
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Leaving 'Blue Moon'aside for a moment............ I'm just in the process of writing about Firefly centreboards.... and their roughness.......oh dear, NOT a pretty sight by all accounts.

This was at the 1948 Olympics, when a certain sailor, worried about lack of form, checked his plate and found, well you can guess the rest. The real laugh (not to the sailors I'm sure) was that the Race Committee then checked the other boats - but as they all had the same problem, let it go!

Could you imagine that happening today!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

David,

This is NOT a good time to be changing the subject!

It is the boating equivalent of PT and you are being a cruel old Tart!!

I've enjoyed the appetizer ...

Now WHERE'S MY SUPPER!!!

What is the history of this class. Where was it sailed, in which sailing club, how many built. Is it "Lost."

Were they always bermudan rigged, or was this a later development perhaps Post war. Did they carry a spinaker... so many questions.

The rudder stock also matches, you can find a picture if you rumage around the different albums on my Photobucket site, along with plans I have drawn up from moderately accurate internal measurments

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... 0drawings/
BlueMoonCentreplateandRudder080196 resized.jpg
(29.66 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
there's the link. the albums are listed on the middle left of the window if you click on the "Michael Brigg " link Top left. The Rudder and plate are in the "Blue Moon Project" album.
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ah you see David, "Burnham was however a major source of innovation at that time however wasn't it?" someone who appreciates all the work we did on the East Coast to allow the South Coast to enjoy themselves! :D :D :D :D

I will see you at the weekend but I will be going to Burnham sometime in the next couple of weeks so can talk to the "old boys" if it will help. It would be a real "find".

We have enough local one designs up here to keep everyone happy. I would be pleased to arrange sails in a Brightlingsea OD but be careful you will all want to order a new one!

D
davidh

Post by davidh »

THAT DOES IT!!!

Border Police will be on standby to turn you back at junction 5 of the M3! The east coast (note the little e, little c, on purpose!) may have had some good ideas once in a while but really, who would want to spend their days sailing around in a muddy ditch. No wonder they are all strange people. AND....as for that, I've pigged out and eaten ALL the Key Lime Pie, truly tantrum time!

Seriously, give me a shout when you're in the neighbourhood and we'll meet up and see if we can get something going on sorting out 'Blue moon'.

Michael - here is a picture - sent from Dave C up on the east coast, of the boat sailing, I've at least one more so another day spent on the happy pills for you!!
Attachments
Burnham 14a[2].jpg
(217.21 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi David again.

Seems like we all have ways of using the law enforcment community to our advantage!

If you do bury the hatchet and let David C across the Hogsback into Hampshire you would be very welcome to look in on Blue Moon who is currently resting in my back garage while I fight a rearguard action to keep her there.

PM me for my address if you want to come over. I think Gosport is closer to you than Itchenor anyway?

I've made a start on the interior during a few stolen moments and stripped 14 of them; only another 500 to go! (+ all the other fiddly bits)

Here is a comment from the Les Gee, a dinghy history enthusiast in Norfolk which has some helpful insights;
Dear Michael,

I have been intrigued by the pictures of your dinghy. As yet I can turn up nothing which throws much light on its origins. However, I can say that the treatment of the quarter knees inserted into split inwales is typical of Herbert Woods as is the transom knee extending right up to the mainsheet horse cut-out. This form of mainsheet horse is, of course typical of the Broads.
The position of the mast step and thwart do suggest an original sloop configuration though this is not proof as some boats intended to sail in the sea as well as the Broads did have their masts set further aft to keep the weight of the rig out of the bows, with the centreboard set further aft to compensate. This was done to lessen the risk of running the bows under, when off the wind, something that the Norfolks, even with their sloop rigs are prone to.
Although the majority of Dumplings were lug rigged, in 1911, Morgan Giles wagered £50 on a race between a Conference dinghy and a Norfolk dinghy. The race took place on the Broads and in spite of the lugsail boat taking the first race (the other boat was late at the start) the sloop rigged Firefly beat Irene (lug) by four races out of five. Later experiments with sloop rigs in the Norfolk boats were stopped by the pundits who added “in one sail” to the rule limiting the sail area to 140 sq. ft. Could your boat be pre- 1914 and built as part of this rebellion?
Some of this information comes from “a Real Boat” by Paul Buckerfield and some from “The International 14 - 1928 - 1964. I do have copies of both books if you are unable to get a sight if them from your local library.
Best wishes,
Les Gee
I took a close look at your latest picture and I am a bit worried about the shape of the stem; Blue Moon tapers down to a sharp entry from top to bottom but the front view of the Burnham14 looks to be rather thicker as though designed to take a mooring over the bow. Is this just an impression? Also the entry of the stem at the waterline appears a little rounded. I need a closer look at this.
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Have you not heard that when you sup with the devil to use a long handled spoon!! Not sure when or where I'll meet up with DC, but if we're aroudn we will call.

I've tried to get a beam on picture but this is the best I can do -this time the boat is gaff rigged.

It is not so much that I think that Blue Moon is a BoD, more the case that the BoD is a follow on from an earlier design.....which again suggests that your boat has that whiff of the east coast about it (poor thing)

D
Attachments
bod14.jpg
(118.68 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I always thought long handled spoons were what Oxford beat Cambridge with at the behest of their innovative coach, Gp Capt "Jumbo" Edwards.

Better the devil you know however, and I'm concerned to know which of the two davids carries the number of the beast! :evil: :twisted:

From your references I can only suppose it's the man from the East Coast. especially if, perhaps, he originates in Lincoln, the Devils County.

Does he sail a Taz!??
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I've made a start on the interior during a few stolen moments and stripped 14 lands; only another 500 to go! (+ all the other fiddly bits)
Who sups with the devil.... Ah yes,... I've just got it. Actually you should have said a long handled scraping tool.

I'm a bit on the slow side sometimes! :oops:
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

These are great pictures David but I think the last one looks like a Norfolk OD both in its rig, and in the varnished Hull. Additionally its Sail letter "B" is not underlined, and from the number, could there have been 56 Burnham OD's built without any record of significance being available?

Those seagoing boats above are a different matter. It is interesting that they all seem to be painted White (or could it be Grey) I say this because I am speculating perhaps there is a wartime influence here. Burnham on Crouch was almost totally taken over by the military during WW2 as far as I can see in the history, and the rig of those powerful looking dinghies has a late or post war look about it. The military boats at that time would very probably have been somewhat camaflaged or painted a default battleship coulor (I am guessing.)

I would be really fascinated to know where the pictures came from. Am I allowed to know your scource?!
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry Michael,

can't tell, I'd hate to taint you with the spores of the east coast!

Sorry also that we didn't hook up at the weekend - the man bearing the mark of the beast did arrive but then the dog ate his dinner...... no, no jest, it did!

We're still on the case though.......

Patience ever patience and joy shall be thy share!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

the man bearing the mark of the beast did arrive but then the dog ate his dinner...
...and my name is Montmorency! Exactly what is the canine equivalent of a "long spoon?"
Michael Brigg