Make sure its all secure

share hints, tips and experiences
roger

Make sure its all secure

Post by roger »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 437355.stm

Double check and check again. A nasty accident.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Re: Make sure its all secure

Post by roger »

Sadly the lady has died.

You should also be aware that your mast must not protrude beyond the transom by more than 6 feet. Even if you have a nice spotty hanky tied on the end.

Legally you are responsible for your load.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Thats scary you take so many things for granted, things like this really do open your eyes
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

its awfully easy to do.

I once had exactly this happen with a mast, but with no harm done to anybody....except the mast....thank god.

I was in a hurry....it was pouring with rain when we loaded up at Baltic Wharf to drive up to Cliveden. A bundle of people were helping me. A very helpful ex-commodore of BWSC managed to tightly tie the mast down to itself. The rope was still tight when we picked the bent bits up off the roadside.

It is very hairy when this happens.....the front of mast digs into the side of road somewhere and then pushes the back of boat out in an arc around the mast, till it ends up behind you.

I do take double care these days....or think I do....but then I thought I did then, but it only takes a bit of rain and a bit of trust in others and it can so easily happen.

So yes.....do take care. The rule I try to always do also, is to drive for 5 mins and then stop and check everything. This has often saved me from grief. It is amazing how often a knot or strap you thought was really tight only takes 5 mins to come loose.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There has been some concern expressed about transport of masts on roof racks of cars. I have always presumed the legal requirement is going to be the same as that which is applied to racing shells which is covered here on a publication from the Amatuer Rowing Assotiation.

http://www.ara-rowing.org/upload/files/ ... riving.pdf

In Summary if your less than 1m overhang beyond front or back lighting and less than 30cm over the side then your OK. 1-3m overhang needs to be made visible with the bright rag (or reflectors in the dark). More than 3m overhangs needs police permission. (48hrs notice of itinerary)

Additional regulations apply to trailers which dont apply to boats as long as the mast doesn't project more than a metre behind the light board.

It's worth carrying a copy to show the old bill in case they get over keen.

This accident has nothing to to with overhangs and everything to do with accident. The load was insecure. Any careful person checks his load but I'm sure we could all sign up to a confessional, fortunately with happier endings than this.
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I now use the lorry driver ratchet straps to tie the boat down as I found that for my long journeys the hobby style ones were all too easily chafed and I can pick up the industrial strength ones at my local car boot sale for about £11 brand new. I also use sponge covered wire ties - they are bendable and twist together but dont do any damage to wooden masts etc to tie the mast to the boat at front and back. But I also make sure that the rear mast support on the trailer lighting board is firmly attached to the boat as I had it jump off the pintle and gudgeon once despite there being a retaining clip fitted - it broke it on a bumpy bit of road. I noticed after about 200yds fortunately and now double check it is well tied down - usually to the main sheet horse!! I also check all is OK after 5 mins towing and then at every stop but keeping a look out in the mirror for anything shifting at regular intervals.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Likewise. We've now done so much travelling that we've got into a routine for each boat with set-up and take-down and always prefer to do the securing ourselves. We always do the check stop after a few minutes and use the wider stronger ratchet straps (from Towsure I believe) and a ratchet on the front to keep the nose down.

Mast is secured in at least 3 places and to the actual boat, not the tail board - to mast support with extra securing turn around support, to transom inside boat (toe strap mountings or similar strong mounting or even hooked into transom flap holes) and in centre to a couple of floor mountings or by taking mainsheet twice around mast and back through jammer so the mast would stay put even if pintles/gudgeons fell off! Tail board gets extra bungees to hold it down each side to trailer too.

Oh and buoyancy bags are fully inflated so pegs don't flap out and mast foot goes into a bag which comes up above spinny pole eye (about 5ft long) and is secured with a bungee so all hayards and fittings are contained and we won't lose the gooseneck on the M6 again!!

When I first got a boat with a one piece mast a few years ago it took four phone calls to different sections of Wiltshire Police to establish that I could tow with the mast protruding behind (due to the height of the camper van) and they gave the length as 2.5 metres with the bright flappy bit on - the six foot overhang rule was changed ages ago and we've since gone metric!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have a fear of losing gooseneck bits too as they are all individual and sliding (except for the Firefly) so now remove the tightening nut and clamp so I have it in the car. Bottlescrews, shackles, shroud ends,halyard ends all go into an orange drybag for the journey secured with one of those wire ties - in fact a shackle pin fell out on the way home on Sunday but it was in the bag. At journey's end all the ties and ratchets go into the bag ready for reloading at the end of the event. A routine is the thing no doubt.