Sail battens

share hints, tips and experiences
PeterV

Sail battens

Post by PeterV »

I took an old sail to Netley which didn't have all the battens in it, so I had to cut down one of the wooden sail battens out of the Elvestrom sail to fit the narrower pocket. Does anyone know where I can get a new (tapered) wooden batten or, if I have to make one what I should make it from. I used to buy ramin 'planks' for catamaran sail batens, I don't know if these are still available.

Having taken an old sail I'm very glad I did, if I'd taken the good sail I would have used it and knackered it!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Sail battens

Post by Ed »

you do occasionally see tapered wooden battens for sale. Normally the 2in wide ones.

Older more traditional chandleries.....trying to think when I last saw them, a while maybe, but not that long ago.

If you had to buy the wood, I think many would do as long as it was lightish and pretty straight grained.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ed wrote:If you had to buy the wood, I think many would do as long as it was lightish and pretty straight grained.
I got some made from cedar for Queenie's 1972 fully battened sail when I needed them for Sailboat and durability was irrelevant. Quick and cheap, but subsequent experience showed that, as expected, they wren't up to actually being used. Been recycled into various bits of Canoe and so on now:-)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Years ago Ash was considered by the experts in the Hornet fleet as being the only wood suitable for making full length batterns from.
Al
chris

Post by chris »

Some of the wooden battens I have are hickory which is probably slightly superior than ash.Hickory is often used for axe handles etc due to its resistance to splitting, Yandles in Martock may have some hicory or find a place that makes tool handles.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris Archers also make long bows by splicing two pick axe handles together with a long crown splice and then shaping and tillering (repeatedly bending the bow and shaving it down, in controlled conditions until required draw weight is met),.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hickory is certainly the best. How long are the battens you need - I'm sure I have some under the pile of crap I call spares, which you would be welcome to.
Rupert