Rusty Sails

share hints, tips and experiences
kayeselle

Post by kayeselle »

Any one got any ideas on removing rust marks from sails ?
Also any general ideas on cleaning sails would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

You can use our old friend Oxalic acid (Salts of Lemon) there were several very extensive discussions on the use of this rather nasty substance on the old forum. Check the archives.
Brian Evans.
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Check 09 02 2002 thread called rust on sails.
Brian Evans.
chris

Post by chris »

Some hardware shops sell 'Stain Devils'. Different ones for different stains. They do a rust one, and seem to work.
Might be worth trying on an old sail first as some things, especially bleaches will rot the material.
stotty

Post by stotty »

a much less troublesome solution if you pardon thye pun is to use lemon juice/citric acid either freshly squeezed or from the chemist respectively and common old salt.
Rub in liquid and then evenly sprinkle salt on it - also w2orks on rust stains on wood - not as powerful as oxallic acid - I've used the above numerous times on model boat woods during construction!
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
kayeselle

Post by kayeselle »

Hi folks
Thanks for the rust mark ideas. I'll be trying one or more shortly. I had read a bit on the use of oxalic acid but had only surfed around its use on wood. I didn't know it could also be used on fabrics so I will have a wander around the archives as suggested.
Being "a Bear of little brain" in such matters, I'm still open to learn from any others out there with more experience than myself and also to hear of ideas on more general cleaning and sprucing up of grubby old sails.
Thanks all again.
Happy sailing
Ken