Dinghy Days

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

This book, Dinghy Days by Eileen Ramsey, is very nice and does not come up that often - it's worth a go to add to your collection of dinghy books.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 04971&rd=1
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Agree.....very nice.

What I want to know is what happened to Eileen Ramsays print and neg collection. Strikes me that it is something that NMMC should really have.

I would love to get copyright permission to put them up on the website.

Anyway....yes ....great book!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

We should all be keeping our ears open for all photo collections Ed,

As well as Eileen Ramsey, there are very important photo's by F.J. Armes, Douglas West, Venn Sturton and Gordon Yeldham.

Plus there was a large collection from Ian Proctor which I presume are safe with the family and the Fairey Marine archives. I do know that the Holt archives are still held by the company and have some fascinating pictures.

Is Nick Champion still taking pictures in Kent?

David Chivers
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

My understanding was that the majority of the Fairey Archives were put in the skip when Fairey closed down. Can't exactly remember the story as told by Charles Curry....but he heard they were being thrown out...rushed down but had missed the first skip and only rescued the stuff out of the 2nd...or something like that.

What was rescued is with the NMM at Greenwhich.

But yes....you are right....there are lots of other collections around....and we can only hope that they remain safe.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nick Champion was certainly active two years ago so I assume is still now. Sorted out some old Cherub stuff for me.
FcH

Re: Dinghy Days

Post by FcH »

I am writing a book : on the history of the International Catamaran Challenge trophy, “Little America's Cup“ history (in English and French) for the next even in Lac Leman in 2015 (last in Falmouth sept. 2013).

I research photos, dates of the regattas, articles in magazines, portraits of the crew and designers, and if possible, lines deck and sail plans of all the boats.
As in my others books (as America' s Cup Yacht Designs), I redraw all the contenders.
I see on the forum that the photos archives of F. J. Armes and Venn Sturton are in a museum. They took some superb shoots of Hellcat I , Flying Rocket and others.
If anybody can help me, many thanks.
Sorry for my poor english, I am french.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

The Eileen Ramsey collection was "saved for the nation" by PPL Ltd who now charge a lot for prints though some of the pictures are available on line, to view. There is a book of Ramsey pictures produced by PPL which is well enough produced but inaccurately annotated and light on dinghies.
The link is: http://www.pplmedia.com/online/era.lasso it is searchable.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Yes, the ER collection did indeed go to PPL, but they have done a very good job of creating a catalogue (there are still many pictures to go)and have made the pictures available. When there has been a major event (such as the Holt Centenary and the Mirror 50th) I can only say that their assistance was superb, in that they helped me identify some great shots, which they then made available to me to use. All those of you who saw the presentations at Chichester, the Dinghy Show or Wraysbury were being entertained courtesy of PPL!

Now compare this with the fate of some of the other equally vital 'collections'. When Jack Chippendale died, his whole collection went to Falmouth. Saved for the nation you might think, being that they are in the 'National Maritime Museum'.

As some of you may know, there is the potential for some exciting possibilities surrounding the Classic scene, so back before Xmas I wrote to Falmouth, as they could well have been interested/involved in the initiative. No answer, nor to my second email. Is all of Chippendales material safe? is it catalogued? Who knows, for one thing is certain, it sure as hell isn't freely available.

I don't see that we (in the cvrda) have anything in the way of the resources needed to provide the quality and access that the fee paying photo libraries can. It is an old chestnut, that all too much of our heritage is being lost..... and no one (least of all English heritage/Lottery Foundation) has the money to do what is needed privately.

So for me, I'd rather that things went the way of PPL, at least we can then get to see them!

FcH - do you want to contact me directly. Much of the early C Class competition took place on the Solent, I may be able to help there!

Dougal
David H