rudder pintles

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

rudder pintles

Post by Nessa »

What is the best way of checking these are in alignment, and if they are out of alignment, altering them so that they are?

Thanks
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Re: rudder pintles

Post by Nigel »

Hi,

my understanding is that the important issue is that the foils themselves are in alignment so fit them to an upturned boat and check either by eye or with string. They should be directly fore & aft and in the same plane - unless anyone knows different (or can explain it better :) ).

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

We had a chat by Paul Young (rondar) a year or two ago. One of the first things he recomended was to invert the boat and check that the foils were straight and then put the boat upright and check the c/b and mast were aligned by putting a something in the c/b case. It was interesting to see how much they varied.

As to how to get it right before you start drilling holes maybe an email or phone call to Paul at Rondar Raceboats. He loves talking boats so will only be to pleased to help.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I may well do that - it would be extremely relevant since the boat in question is actually a rondar built contender - sorry to sneak in a non cvrda question, but I like the level of expertise in here!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa, You may struggle to talk to Paul Young at the moment he is at the 505 worlds.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353