Cold moulded ply

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Can anybody give me some advice about repairing cold moulded ply please?

I have aquired an old shearwater that needs a little work before I can sail her. Most of it is re-decking and I think I may have to replace the transoms which should be fairly starightforward. However, there are two small patches on the hull next to the transoms that are a little soft and possibly starting to delaminate. The patches are about two inches square.

Whats the best way of repairing these? Should I try to remove all the soft wood or can I dry it out and then saturate it with epoxy to seal it all?

Thanks

Steve
davidh

Post by davidh »

HI stephen,

did you get any luck with the sails? I saw that the advert was still up on the notice board. When the work is done, where will you be sailing it?

D
David H
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Hi David,

Yes I spoke to your contact. He has an old main available which I hope to sort out when I am down in the area.

I will be sailing initially at Leigh on Sea in Essex, but if I can learn to sail it properly I may tag along at the back of the fleet on the occasional TT

Steve
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Stephen,

Fixing cold or hot moulded veneers is a great joy to do......

and even writing about it has amused me a few times in the past.....

but I am afraid I just don't have time at moment to write it again.

Have a look back through the archives and I am sure you will find something. I have thought in the past about taking some of the old threads on working with veneers and putting them in the 'hints&tips' section.....just need to find the time.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are also threads concerning wood hardener for treating the edges of where you have dug out to. I can't say I get quite as high as Ed when doing the job, but with patience it can come out well, and if the hull is painted, an epoxy joint showing doesn't matter, and it all becomes very easy!
Rupert
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Thanks Ed and Rupert, I managed to get some useful info from the search.

Steve
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I've just done a similar repair on my Finn. It's very easy to do, especially if you can get a veneer of the correct thickness, and, as Rupert says, epoxy makes it very strong and paint covers it up (although I was so pleased with the repair I was sad to cover it up). I certainly wouldn't now advocate an alternative method.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
joneschris8

Re: Cold moulded ply

Post by joneschris8 »

Did you manage to fix the shearwater and get her racing, if so where are you sailing her?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

can someone tell me the best place to get the veneers?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
chris

Post by chris »

Agba veneer was most often used and Robins in Bristol stock it. Firstly identify the type of veneer it is and also the thickness. Constructional veneer is what you need not ordinary veneer which is only about .7mm thick. New timber will appear much lighter than the original but if you leave it out in the sunlight before you use it then it's colour will darken. This is better than staining it later to match as then the clour will change anyway.

http://www.robbins.co.uk/
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A year ago I spent an interesting day on behalf of Garry "doing the South Coast" seeking Fairey type Agba Veneer for his Firefly repair!
Difficult and instructive!
Depends on the quantity.
Haines at Itchenor had some on order!
The Boat Barge at Burseldon who repair Fairy Speedboats had it but as planks not veneers.
Wyche Marine at Dell Quay profered all they had which was enough for Gary. Roddy Wilson at Wyche is a gem (Englands last hope?) a step back in time, as Garry will confirm, from a visit there with me two years ago.
For good sound advice on the subject Garry is the man. He's been there and done it, no doubt has several T Shirts.
Simples.