Paints

share hints, tips and experiences
roger

Paints

Post by roger »

I have just repaired the huge crack in the floor that appeared at the hornet open and decided to rub the whole boat down I was thinking of getting the boat sprayed by a local chappie.
I am still waiting for a quote for the job and was wondering what paint to use. He is talking about a two pack and I am happy to go with that but do I need to use a yacht paint or is the car paint from his normal suppliers ok.
Also if I do the preparation and primer what should I use?
Is G4 anygood under paint?
Any helpful comments please.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Re: Paints

Post by Garry R »

No experience of G4 under paint but would think that it would be OK if you let it dry/cure well and rub down. Fine under Blakes DuraGloss varnish but not certain about under a 2 pack. Solvent issues may be a problem.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Having done a quick search it looks as if the Blakes brilliant enamel would be the paint equivalent of duragloss varnish.
Pat

Post by Pat »

For a cracking floor isn't single pack more flexible than 2 pack?? Expert opinions please.
roger

Post by roger »

Pat, the crack was on a join of two bits of ply under a cross member. The mend is strong and not flexible(I hope). The reason i am going for a spray paint is that it will be very difficult with my current shelter to paint in these weather conditions. Hopefully it wont be to expensive.
The question is with a boat that is dry stored most of the time do I need to use yacht paints or can I use the car paints he usually uses.
Of course this may give us a bigger options for colour :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

ps I havent forgotten I have your rudder stock and tiller.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

roger wrote:do I need to use yacht paints or can I use the car paints he usually uses.
Car paints are often used on modern hitech boats. The main disadvantage seems to be that they scratch more easily than two pot boat paint. The widespread perception about single pot is that it isn't so hot on less stable older surfaces, but I'm not sure there's any more evidence than hearsay, so don't really know that that's true. A significant consideration is that the very aggressive solvents in the two pot paints will tend to bubble up any old paint residues, which is why they are usually safer on surfaces that are new or that you know the history of...
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks Jim very helpful.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

I have used and continue to use a 2 pot paint called Weathersafe system 65 produced by a company called Serene Paints. They are based in Small Dole near Burgess Hill West Sussex http://www.serenepaints.co.uk/. I have used the paint on old an new boats and I know for a fact that Laurie Smart, who builds boats for a living in Haywards Heath, uses this paint system on the insides of all his Merlins that he builds. As for compatibility I was once told by Laurie that if the existing paint surface is single pack and has been in situ for some time you can paint over it with a 2 pack system and it will not react. This was subsequently proven when he painted the inside of a Solo I once owned with the System 65 over a single pack finish. Obviously preparation is the key :wink: Serene can produce any BS or RAL colour required and supply in tins of 1L, 2.5L & 5L.