Singlehanded challenge

General chat about boats
Rupert

Singlehanded challenge

Post by Rupert »

The Thread on the pisces dinghy had me thinking, I'm afraid...there are lots of obscure singlehanded dinghies within the cvrda, from Nymphs to Ojolles (maybe...). Should we get ourselves organized to get them all to one of the cvrda meetings next year, so we can hold a few races and compare oddness? (and of the boats, too, maybe?) Maybe it would be a good thing for one of the newer events, such as Bewl Water, if we are going there?
Rupert
davidh

Re: Singlehanded challenge

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

will you be at BW tomorrow, this is a subject well worthy of discussion.

I had proposed, two years ago now, that Netley hold a southern version of the 'Billy no mates' trophy event that is raced somewhere in the wild wilderness that is the North of England. To make this sort of event viable as a 'stand alone' competition, you're probably looking at an entry between 35 and 40 boats. The numbers vary from a conventional fleet as one really does need extra rescue facilities when dealing with single handers, let one classic ones.

So my guess is that the idea is brilliant BUT to start the ball rolling you need another group of boats to tag onto. Once the classic single handers can attract the crucial 'critical mass' - then they can hive it off into their own event.

Would Love to run something along those lines, sadly I do not think I'll have the Unit come next season - that has to go!

D
David H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I think it is a really good idea.

Did you mean Bough Beech rather than Bewl?

I put a comment on another thread asking if there was a list of events for 09, is there?
Harrier 25
505 7163
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

A list of events, or even proposed events/dates etc woul be useful for me to have for the Earls Court Show next week.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry, yes, I meant BB. All these places in Kent confuse me!
David - I meant it as an added extra to a cvrda event, to encourage people to travel somewhere maybe they would have otherwise have thought of as a little too far. But I would love an open for odd classes at Netley - Again, though, some of the more fragile boats might regard it as a little too much, especially after this summer.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

sounds like a good idea to me. If we want to introduce it low key, we do not even need a separate start (just a separate trophy :D ) and just work it off the results of bigger races.

If we wanted a more inclusive approach for those with mates, we could even have separate "trophies" within the overall race for a number of categories e.g. MRs, Albs Beachcombers etc. as well.

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

Brookesy wrote:A list of events, or even proposed events/dates etc woul be useful for me to have for the Earls Court Show next week.
Neil is working on a list of events. He is still waiting to hear from a couple of clubs.

Dates I know are

10th Anniversay Nationals at Roadford August Bank Holiday.

Clwedog Whitsun bank Holiday (I think)

Shearwater 3rd Oct

Baltic Wharf 18th April and 21 Nov

Any others?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JB9

Post by JB9 »

The offer still stands for a CVRDA event at BBSC, if some clubs have not responded perhaps they are not that keen?
Harrier 25
505 7163
roger

Post by roger »

JB9 wrote:The offer still stands for a CVRDA event at BBSC, if some clubs have not responded perhaps they are not that keen?
Thanks we certainly have you on the list and if you wish to hold an event we will give you all the advertising/suppoert
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

Back to topic
Sounds like a good idea. We could easily add an extra prize for s/h boats or have a seperate class start.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Silverwood

Post by Silverwood »

Hi....new here! Would wooden phantoms 25yrs+ old be eligible? Designed in 1971 so post 1965 but are effectively a development class with selfdraining floors and huge rig loadings these days. Not quite sure when the Pisces was designed but think it was post Laser.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Phantoms don't qualify for the cvrda events, which is sad, but if we are doing something slightly different within the framework I'm sure you would be welcome. As original non selfdraining wooden Phantoms are certainly a different beast from the modern ones, so could almost be regarded as lost! No thought has been given to this at all, really, baring the first post to see what the reaction was. Good, by the sound of it.
David, I won't be at BWSC tomorrow, but would be happy to be involved in any ideas you have for an event. I ceased to be Commodore of Whitefriars yesterday, so once I have the handbook printed will be looking for other pies to get my sticky fingers into!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Silverwood,

Not sure what happened there but I did try and post a reply to this string.

I've got Phantom 896, a Claridge - and though it's a nice boat and with a new rig sails very well, it is nowhere near competitive with the newer versions of the class.

So - it's a 1970 design rather than a 1965 - which I happen to think is sad. A quick look at the Merlin Website shows boat that are now eligible that are only just below the level of modern competitive - yet they can be in.

Another anomoly - the Unit, designed for the 1965 Trials is in, whilst the Contender, which didn't make 1965, ,but did make the second set of trials in 1966 - is 'out'. I can see the arguement for making a strict '1965 cut off', another arguement for extending this to 1970, yet more suggestions to pitch back a fixed number - say 35 or 40 years - so each year that rolls by, things move forward. All these are valid subjects for discussion, the best one can do is to ask.

From my own viewpoint, if you had turned up at Netley, with a 30 year old Phantom, with a rig 'of the time', the club would have looked long and hard and said 'okay - come and join us' .

Well done though for bravely asking the question, it is good to have the debate!

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Can I point out, once again, that the 1965 date is in the CVRDA constitution, something I believe took a number of years to agree.

If this date is to change, to say 1970 as suggested, to allow Phantoms, Contenders, Larks.......and Lasers in then it will mean a major change to the CVRDA and its constitution.

And to do this we would have to agree the method of changing the constitution.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Silverwood

Post by Silverwood »

I seem to have started something! I agree a strict cut off is necessary butit seems strange a 1982 GRP Kestrel is eligible but a wooden home built 1972 Phantom is not. Maybe specifying wood hulls would keep out Larks, Lasers, Contenders etc and be truer to the ethos of the organisation. I would also classify a non self drainig, tin rig, wooden Phantom as a classic, whilst a self draining floor (a 90's development?) wouldn't be.
Not sure where the Pisces (a 70's design?) fits in here - it was seeing this that prompted my question!