Could this be a YW dayboat?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nigel

Could this be a YW dayboat?

Post by Nigel »

Ancient Geek

Re: Could this be a YW dayboat?

Post by Ancient Geek »

Briefly no, possibly local (To Woodbridge.) OD? OR just a dayboat but not a YW Dayboat.
Simples.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I doubt it is a YW DB. There are several 14 foot or so clinker designs on this coast and from those photos it is difficult to really see. Built by Eversons of Woodbridge I would have to go for the Waldringfield Dragonfly. I know they were built by Nunn's over at Felixstowe and Roberston's of Woodbridge but it is possible Eversons built some as well.

I am puzzled by the gunter rig as the Dragonfly is bermudan but as a sea scout boat anything could have happened. Would be nice to see a sail.

D
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have sent the seller a question as the boat itself and its link to Sea scouts has reminiscences of my own pipedream project boat Blue Moon, also 14ft clinker and with a
"distinct whiff of the East Coast about her."
(Henshalls words not mine I would add!)

Talking of that sort of thing David (the Henshall) is looking for something to accomodate his burgeoning frame (or so he said on the Singlehander threat that is burning up the forum at present) Perhaps this is what he is looking for. Time to grow up David? Your Hornet hellraising days are over?!

I also thought of the Dragonfly, a copy of the Norfolk OD dinghy although I don't know if those were decked. It doesn't look to be Mahoghony strakes either and it might be useful to see the timbers although from the spacing of the rivets I'd guess the timbers are probably quit widely spaced on alternate lines of riets giving about a 6'' spacing. As you say, who knows what the scouts might have done to make the boat practical for general use. That high waterline paint job looks just like a properly belted trouser waist well above the belly button! The decking may well be a later addition.
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ahhhhh..... I'm touched (by too much of the sun maybe??)

Michael, modesty and the polite conversation rules that apply on this site prevent me from answering as I'd really like too.. I'll try though, using words and expressions that should not get me drummed out from the brownies!

You know the age old joke about the difference between sheep and a skoda...punchline went something like "I'd be more ashamed to be seen getting out of the back of the skoda"...................... well, replace skoda with 'East Coast 14ft' and you get the general theme that I'm thinking about!

And as for Hornet hellraising days....................... been over a long time I'm afraid but that is no reason to have to grow up! Growing old, disgracefully, is far more fun!

What is the news on Blue Moon.... or your good self for that matter (you've been worrying quiet of late). You've not been at the N2O again have you?

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

And Michael............... a PS for you

Whilst I'd be too ashamed to be seen in the back of ANYTHING that came from the far reaches of the east coast (where even the women have clenched ribs) I may spend this winter and next season......

in the back of a SMOD.............................

Oh Lord, save me, for I know not what I'm doing!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

You will of course be aware that since Skoda became a part of VW they to go like S**T of the proverbial shovel.

I always thought of Toppers as being a bit like Skodas. Little style, leaky hull, poor performance. Only good for learners (or kids) who should learn to cope with something without style as a lesson in life. Then Topper started making all those SMOD's...

BaaaaH!

Well, 1 month to Christmas so Baah Humbug!
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

So back to business. Here is the reply I've had from Sam about this boat. Very exciting as the Kingfisher I believe is a bit of a rare bird indeed.
Hi

thanks for your email, this auction has become somewhat of an adventure as I have been contacted by people providing more and more info each day. I have been advised that Mr Everson would like to come and view the craft which leads me to believe it (hopefully) is a bit special. we were donated this boat and were originally going to give the boat to the local village in bloom team to use as plant pot!

what I have learned since listing the auction is

the boat is pre world war II
it is a kingfisher class dinghy bearing the registration 2KC
it was built to withstand the tidal current of the river Deben in Suffolk. The beam is approx 5' 6 and there seems to be a confusion as to whether the rig is gaff or gunther. The person who donated the boat said gaff but my father and someone from ebay have told me that eversons only did gunther rig boats.

the centreboard is up and approx 3'2 when lowered.someone has promised me a photo but it hasnt arrived yet when I get it I will forward it to you if you wish.

I hope that this is of help if I can be of any more help please let me know.

regards

Sam
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Just proves how many sad people are out there!!!!

Only joking Michael - does this throw any more light on the parentage of Blue Moon?

Given the option of (being caught exiting from) a skoda, something from the pits of the east coast or from an ovis aries, it would have to be mint sauce all the way!

Will you still talk to me if I sail a SMOD?

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Oh the sweet sound of jealousy! :D :D :D

mind you even the sheep up here know how to sail, the air encourages advanced thinking! Sailing a SMOD though - I think would rather slit my wrists or listen to a politician!
Southern377

Re: Could this be a YW dayboat? Kingfisher No2

Post by Southern377 »

Now relisted with lots of history.

I think the class started as a Gunter in 1939 and then changed after WW2 . The Deben Yacht Club mentions the class in their history as starting in 1948.

How much of a task is it to renew all those ribs?

Alan.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Reribbing is quite straight forward- did about 10 on a Tideway (http://www.pegasus18.com/dinghies/index ... on-part-2/ )

all you need is
  • A supply of oak (keep it moist)
  • A length of scaffold pipe
  • A wallpaper steamer linked to scaffold pipe
  • A rag to stuff in the other end of scaffold pipe
  • Dolly
  • Rivets/Rooves
  • Hammer
  • Asbestos Fingers
  • Ideally someone to help out if not you'll need long arms.
John Leather's Clinker Boatbuilding is a good read.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I don't know how good the lay-up of these boats is but I believe the original was arrived at by "copying" a Norfolk One Design dinghy. They have quite an active assotiation and for that matter a class "Builder/Restorer" as well as a number of boats in their fleet that have been extensively restored. They may be able to give you some advise although I found they werent very interested in boats that are not Norfolk Dinghies.

The historical link with the Kingfisher may grab their interest however.

The Norfolk Dinghy is made of Mahoghony on oak frames (which are quite widely spaced.) The lay-up of the Kingfisher is described in an original report in the "Yachtsmans annual" as "Spruce planking" and so it may have weathered less well but then again will be alot cheaper to repair.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

all you need is

A supply of oak (keep it moist)
It needs to be "Green" (ie Un-seasoned) oak.
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Michael Brigg wrote:
all you need is

A supply of oak (keep it moist)
It needs to be "Green" (ie Un-seasoned) oak.
It's not necessary to be completely green for the thin stuff. If you want a decent finish on the ribs green oak is a pain, as you'll have to cut it to size and take the top edges off - try planing green oak :D. I've found for dinghies that not-green oak is not too much of a problem as you're working with relatively thin timber.

It does need some moisture. I usually store mine outside when not using it, a decent soak overnight helps with the steaming. As your ribs will probably be 1/2" or 3/8" steaming for about 30 minutes should be fine - whip it out when it's floppy and away you go. Make sure you get a little more material than you need - work on losing about 1 in 6 or 7 as the grain on thin ribs can go on the diagonal
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith