Finn Setup

share hints, tips and experiences
jpa_wfsc

Finn Setup

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hi Finnatics!

I now own Finn K468, self draining GRP Taylor hull with Needlespar mast and several sails.

The kicking strap has a wire loop which goes around the mast, then on to each side of the lever. But there is nothing to stop the wire loop slipping up the mast. Does anyone know what there should be? A previous owner drilled and inserted a self tap screw with a SS loop to hold it - but this is half way up the mast between deck and gooseneck so there would be little or no mechanical advantage to the arrangement. Wear marks on the mast indicate that for much of its life the wire strop must have been held down at collar level by something. But whatever that was is missing; there are no pilot holes or empty rivet holes on the mast there (nor would I want there to be as it could not be good to weaken the mast at deck level?) Should the collar have had a cast hook on it for the loop? Would the collar take the upward force anyway?

In the front side of the collar there is a rectangular hole which does not look as manufactured (it has been drilled and filed out and cuts through the Olympic rings cast into the collar top surface) - the wire strop will fit through that. On each side of that, there are clearance holes suitable for 5mm control lines (possibly, to lead up to the inhaul??)

If anyone knows how it should be please let me know.

Best wishes;
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Brookesy

Re: Finn Setup

Post by Brookesy »

Hi,
You are more or less there, in that you may be able to use that square hole in front of the mast but I would need to see it.
Most of us now, for ease, use vectran v12 or dyneema d12 instead of wire for the kicker as it is easier to work with and easily spliced even in my ham fisted way, rather than using swages etc.
If you visit the Finn website at http://www.finnuk.org.uk and go to the 'Tuning Guide', at the bottom of the page go to 'regatta active images' link, and you will find some pictures of the kicker/vang.Look under 'Safety' and you will see a close up of the mast at the deck in one of the pictures, and it is posible to see where the v12 goes through a hole drilled either side of the mast in the deck ring. It should be put through the drilling once around the mast then out of the opposite drilling and up to your lever.
Hope this helps or email me and I will get some pictures this weekend.
The collar of the mast is not that dificult to drill but do it at an angle of about 30 degrees from back to front, from the top (if that makes sense).
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
jpa_wfsc

Re: Finn Setup

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Ah - right, and Thank you Brooksey. Looks like those holes already exist in my collar but this boom has a wire stop for the kicker, which thus has no place to go. - I guess someone has swapped over some parts some time. The holes I have all go vertically through the collar and drilling at 30 deg angle would not leave a lot of collar left. So I will use the existing and watch out for the effect of the sharp angle on the dynema for now.

Cheers!

john./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.