RYA Volvo Dinghy Show

General chat about boats
Ancient Geek

RYA Volvo Dinghy Show

Post by Ancient Geek »

I see from the bumph that arrived in the post this AM that there is a section "Dingy Development through the Ages" has the CVRDA been asked for input or not?
Simples.
davidh

Re: RYA Volvo Dinghy Show

Post by davidh »

AG,

I do not know about the CVRDA but I must admit that this is the first I had heard. I've rung the RYA at Hamble and actually spoke to someone ( wow, things must be looking up for me) - what they are talking about is the history of the Int 14!!

A display and a talk.... both days.

Nessa....Nick Clibb and others - your chance of 15 minutes of fame!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I would happily take Agamemnon down there for the price of some free tickets, because it would be worth it just for the chance to get some advice, comment etc. But I can't guarantee she would be finished by then.

(unless we get a sudden climate change or I find a centrally heated shed (mind you, the conservatory in the new house does have double doors...))
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Well it just says Vintage Dinghies which perhaps shows how shallow thr RYA's perception of our sport really is.
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I know my "Blue Moon"probably isn't an i14 and may possibly pre-date the class. Suggestion that she might be a B.R.A restricted class have been made. My own opinion has moved towards the "Dumpling," a One-off, perhaps an apprentice project (although I am told probably the mahoghany lay up is a little too expensive for an apprentice.)

"Dumplings" were part of the development of 14ft dinghy races on the broads. The cheaper end of the market where on water disputes would be settled not by taking 720' penalties , but rather by fisticuffs on the bank. If you thought winning a luffing match cost you dearly in the overall placings this puts a different light on it. Perhaps the prize fight would provide even more opportunity for wagers to be placed!

I was given to believe this exhibit is after any material that might be of interest but I don't know who is involved in the presentation. I would presume an "original" (ie not marine ply!) merlin might command a place as a "spin-off from the i14 development.

I would envisage that the historical element and perhaps hands on aspect means that a finished article is not essential so Aggamemnon may still command interest if only to show what needs to be done to preserve the history and draw the publics attention to the fact that THEY must ultimately become individual curators each of their own little museum if this kind of history is to be preserved other than very few models of little constructive value, kept more for their fame than their place in maritime construction history.

Several individual exhibits of boats in various states of repair (or decay) will not harm the cause of dinghy preservation. It is all very well to aspire to a perfectly varnished museum piece but this kind of exhibit could also inspire (even if only a few) enthusiasts to see that what might be labelled as a wreck is waiting to be developed into a piece of heritage with far more life and interest that the foggy pile of damp Tudor oak the graces HM dockyard Portsmouth.

Incidentally , talking of the 4heads and 3handles, this certainly applies to HMS Victory perhaps with the exception of the bit of Deck where Nelson fell, and even more so to HMS Warrior (John Smith, the finest labour PM that they never had was the main mover/shaker of that one)
Michael Brigg
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I shall look forward to the call asking me to help with the Austin Farrar boats! :? :lol: :?
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Michael Brigg wrote:
Incidentally , talking of the 4heads and 3handles, this certainly applies to HMS Victory perhaps with the exception of the bit of Deck where Nelson fell, and even more so to HMS Warrior (John Smith, the finest labour PM that they never had was the main mover/shaker of that one)
Warrior is mostly iron, most of which is original. I think it must have survived due to being coated in years of grime from use as a fuel bunker in the Menai Straights. So nicely restored, and I always enjoy visits to her having seen her in Milford often on holidays to Wales. And, of course, still afloat.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
clibb

Post by clibb »

I read somewhere that Victory is reckoned to be 3% original, USS Constitution is 14% original, but Trincomalee/Foudroyant is over 60% original. Not sure how true this is, but whatever the figure, it shows the resilience of Indian hardwoods. Constitution and Trincomalee were built only a few years apart. They would have been closer, but Constitution sank the English ship carrying the plans to India for the building of Trincomalee and they had to be resent.

Nick C
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Of course one should not believe all one reads in the newpapers, or even on Web Sites However the Dinghy Show web site does list that attraction (Dinghy Sailing through the ages...)

Adding to the comments about various ancient ships, I recently had the priviledege if dining in HMS Victory and 3% or not the ghosts were there and real, and chilly as it was on deck before dinner to watch the Royal Marines Beat Retreat it was just a really memorable occasion. Victory is very much a living museum land locked though she may be.

David C I liked your idea of Oulton Broad as a venue for a living dinghy museum, sadly though it is now so fully developed all round, that any available space will be expensive and probably earmarked by the local people who own most of the broadside, though the proximity of the Boatbuilding College attracts, however bizare their ethos.
How about somewhere on the East bank of the Hamble or the River Blackwater?
Whatever.
We should look to our posterity!
Simples.