hornet on ebay with story

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
keithr

hornet on ebay with story

Post by keithr »

This one came up on my search, one more for you Roger!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HORNET-16ft-Saili ... 240%3A1318
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
roger

Re: hornet on ebay with story

Post by roger »

Thanks Keith but no thanks!! Its certainly a story but no of interest.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Why on earth would you tell that story about a boat you are trying to sell??? Even if I was in the market for a Hornet, I'd not touch it with a bargepole!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this could well be my old 'Ginger Nuts', 2046. Alan W - do you concur, looking at the pics, that the deck layout is spot on for the time. If it is not 2046, then it is a very close relative.

Fast boats and well built - for a bargain boat, this is 'it'.

One quick look again at the decks, all that curved inside edging - cost alotta way back at the start of the 80s!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Supersize the photo of the transom and it has 2042 punched out just above the Pintle, so I'm sorry David, this one doesn't seem to be your old drinking buddy.

2046 might have been worth rescuing for the CVRDA if only to get it into the National dinghy register in which case all those tales of youthful excess would have be available for the history of class racing development in the UK! :roll:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

2042............ I thought it was close!

No matter, any hornet from that era would have a tale or two to tell!!!!

Youthful excess maybe - whatever happened though to middle aged excess, that is a far more important question.

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

David I took the liberty of posting your post on the Hornet forum and this came back from Tom Guy.

looking at my database unless one of the Aussie boats has made it way back it's Gingernuts:

2041 Goodwin Revo Wood

2042 Goodwin Revo Wood

2044 Hullabaloo Wood

2045 Wood

2046 Ginger Nuts Baker Mk1 Wood/GRP Composite

2047 Wood

2048 Australia Ipi-Too

2049 Australia L'Intercepteur

There were a few other Baker Mk1's including Bill Plenty's "Peace and Quiet" 2059 which included kevlar in its construction.

Anyone remember the sticker "you can do Plenty in a 420" it seemed rather apt when we used to share the Warash open with the 420's.....
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

I'll have a chat with Tom on this..................

I really do wish you hadn't reminded me of the shared open meeting at Warsash............... I'm sat here blushing at the thought of it!!

Any of those boats, with a good rig, would be fast - and would excellant Handicap competitors in the cvrda. Are you going to bid on it Roger??

D
David H
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I still have a nice picture of Gingernuts honking upwind with a Tony Smith fully-battened main - what happened to Tony? Does he still make sails (I've always thought that fully battened mains on Hornets are the way to go, but hey)
davidh

Post by davidh »

John,

If it is the picture that I'm thinking off, it graced the front cover of the Hornet mag many moons ago. Taken at weston in LOTS of wind, I had Micky Todd ( of Pink Hammer fame) out on the wire that day. It was one of a pair of photos, I have the other up on the wall here in front of me..... truly, the 'older I get, the faster I was'...........

Put a scan of the picture up on this site and I'll tell you the tale of 'THAT' fully battened main.... and what a tale it is too. I should be ashamed, well, in a way I am BUT.... c'est la vie.

Tony S is sheep shhhh.... shearing out in NZ, or was.... but that too is another story.

Dougal ...sorry, David H
David H
roger

Post by roger »

davidh wrote:Roger,

Any of those boats, with a good rig, would be fast - and would excellant Handicap competitors in the cvrda. Are you going to bid on it Roger??

D

David,

I think 3 Hornets is more than enough and its all the way up north. I struggle to maintain the ones I have. I still need to repair/replace the C/B on Angies GP after Alex and Jamie broke it at the Nationals. I suppose a plastic one would take marginally less work :shock:

Rest assured I wont be bidding against you.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger and John S,

as it is close to christmas and the season of good will I'll make an offer!!!
(this does not happen often so make the most of it).

Post the picture of Ginger Nuts going upwind on here and......

I'll write up the story of 'THAT' sail.... it really will be a bit of an 'expose', worthy of inclusion in the News of the World. I'll even.... name names!

(worry not webmaster... I'll not publish it on here, so the threat of libel will be 'elsewhere')

Interested?? Okay... here is a taster. Get the magnifying glass out and you'll see that the sail is actually from.... Banks!

But if you want to know more...... make it worth my while and post the picture!

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Did you win David???
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

not sure what happened there...did try to post a suitable (??) reply!

Did I win...no, yesterday, sailing the almost but not quite classic Phantom, I got pipped for first place by a well sailed RS 500. Beaten by a SMOD, will hang head in shame for the week!!

Did I win the day of the picture..... yes I did! It was blowing 'old boots' and was the ONLY Hornet rigged with a fully battened main (a clue there!!) plus I had one of dinghy racings top crews that day - who looked after us and kept the rig point upwards.

But did I win the mind games that were at the heart of 'Battenedmaingate'?

Very much so, though looking back on the incident it was all rather childish and petty. But it is easy to take the revisionist view. Being top dog in the testosterone charged atmosphere that was the weston Hornet fleet in those days was far more important than mere life or death, so extreme measures were not only acceptable, were almost 'de rigeur'! Now, older and maybe a tad wiser, well, maybe I'd do things differently.

But as the picture has still yet to surface...here is a deal!

John S.... you post the pic and I'll write up the story of 'Battenedmaingate' and will donate it to Mainsheet, the Hornet newsletter!

Publish and be damned indeed!!!

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

David,

I must have misunderstood I thought you were going to bid on Ginger nuts.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353