hornet on ebay with story

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
davidh

Re: hornet on ebay with story

Post by davidh »

Roger,

I'd have loved too but in the current climate, I am selling boats as fast as I can and not buying any new!

I think I still have a mast for Ginger nuts too.... and a boom (no sails though.... that is back to teh story)

But the offer is there Roger, put an arm lock on john S to get the picture uploaded and you can 'read all about it' in the next issue of mainsheet!

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Damnit...£103 including sails

someone has one heck of a lot of boat at a damn good price there!

A fair haul to go and get it too.....

Mind you, not that far from Crammond

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Is that John Shelton posting. I believe that Hullabloo was a mark one revol comlpeted from one of the Sailcraft hull the look of 2042 with the funny bow shute reminded me of the pre revo Baker hornet of which Terrorist was a fine example. 2042 do's not look a bit like Red Rhum which was the Revo to beat at that time?
Alan Williams ex Horneteer.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan,

a positive ID now on the boat - yes, its ginger nuts, 2046

Michael Briggs is now away getting his perscription on his glasses checked.

so - as believed, it's a Baker GRP hull, wood decks

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan and Roger (plus any other ex horneteers)

okay.... with apologies for the poor picture quality (I've scanned it in the frame) here is the one I've got - John S (shelton?) should have the shot of us ging back upwind

D
Attachments
Gnuts.jpg
(54.32 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Best main I ever had on my Hornet was the fully battened. Only down side was not being able to get rid of the power. In a back to back rave everyone else say there having lunch and we would be planing up and down. We never really mastered it so I should have stuck with it really. Sadly I don't have any photos nor any stories - well not of that main anyway :D
JimC

Post by JimC »

DavidC wrote:Best main I ever had on my Hornet was the fully battened. Only down side was not being able to get rid of the power.
This thing about not being able to lose power. I'd *much* rather have a fullly battened rig for between races. Tack slowly, leave the battens to windward and back the jib. You then sit hove to with the boat as quiet as you like and none of the noise, flapping and general aggravation and wear on sails of a soft rig. It even works just fine on a Canoe...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dave and Jim C's,

At the time, the fleet was 100% soft sail. How 'that' main came about was the subject of 'battenedmaingate' (showing the events of the time), suffice to say that the sail was one of two that were in existence in the fleet at the time, though only one was in use.

In breeze the main made Ginger Nuts super competitive.......North sails at the time had an add that read "boatspeed makes you a tactical genius" and that was how it felt.

Didn't work half as well in the lighter, shiftier conditions but..... I have to say that I am quite surprised that one one followed up with the development!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
I had a really radical fully battern main on Visionary 2038 which was cut by Shaun Cox of Int Moth fame. When I presented it for measurement at Shoreham Tony Watts I think was the measurer stated before measuring it that there was no way it could measure. Measure it did and I was the only boat in the fleet with a Merlin Rocket type mainsail but with a very square head like the current cat sails.

Cheers Al W
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan,

as far as I can make out.....'battenedmaingate' was '81!!

Does that tally?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Spot on we actually caused the tighting up of the rules for those measurements I feel.
Al W.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornet-Racing-Din ... 240%3A1318

K2047, even closer to gingernuts, but possibly a long way from heaven! :lol:

BTW, Whats in a name, David? :roll:
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Davidh said:-
a positive ID now on the boat - yes, its ginger nuts, 2046

Michael Briggs is now away getting his perscription on his glasses checked.
I am of course delighted that Gingernuts has re-emerged like a bad penny into the present.

As a medical man I am quite expert at deciphering the jottings of my colleagues but I have to say that when David took his hole punch to tatto his number on this poor hornets bottom, :shock: he must have given the poor thing quite a surprise as the accuracy of his lettering endeavours (IMHO) to turn a six into (literally) a Number2!! :oops:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

Take a look at the transom and lets put it to the vote. Had David had a heavy night is the Pope a Catholic??
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Michael Brigg wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornet-Racing-Din ... 240%3A1318

K2047, even closer to gingernuts, but possibly a long way from heaven! :lol:

BTW, Whats in a name, David? :roll:
Micheal,
Saw this boat on Ullswater for the Birkett. Chap was sailing her with his girlfriend who had never trapezed before. She came off the water in tears(maybe thats why shes for sail...the boat that is). Nice boat but has a very small spinaker chute. It looks like he has done a lot of work on her. Dont think she will make the reserve as she is pre revolution so wont be up to speed with the modern fleet.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

Oh dear, is this another case where someone has ploughed a lot of money into a boat, then starts to think along the lines that this makes it worth lotss too. I think we've all been there at some point!!

If 2046 went for peanuts (okay, it needed some tlc, varnish and the hull had not been sprayed) it is hard to see where the £1500 buy it now figure comes from.

Still, you never know...... but if I did want to go for another Hornet, I'd go for Ginger Nuts (with or without the aid of Dr Brigg's bifocals) or.............

I'm sure that there are other boats, not a million miles from here, that woul dmake an even betterer platform for 'classic' sailing!!!!!!!!!!

(I bet that has got your attention Mr C!!!!!!!)

Bearing in mind the need for decorum on the web, plus it is the season of peace and goodwill to all............. referring back to the East Coast v Solent 'bragging rights'..... there used to be inter club team racing, I was reading about how back in 1979 this came down to a dog fight between David Thomas, from Hamble River, and opne Mr Izzat, from Brightlingsea. They didn't have the web in those days but had they done so, the on line rivalry would have been 'interesting' to say the least!!

D
David H