Pisces Singlehander

an area to discuss dinghy developments
alan williams

Re: Pisces Singlehander

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave
Look to the States for info on the MacAlpineDownie boats. The Man of War one of my favourate pre laser beach boats was made by Chrysler in large numbers and are still raced in some states. This is also true of some of the day boats that he designed. A while a go I had contact with a guy in Vancover who had a very rare Phoenix 18ft cat designed by Rod and built by Gibbs in the States.
Cheers Al W
Just got shot of the last student time to lock up the office and go on leave. Happy Christmas eveyone.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There was a man of War on ebay a while back - it took me ages to work out what it was (hours of googling). I didn't bid, worse luck. It looked like a nice boat and in good nick too.

(I have the ebay equivalent of cabin fever in that I have not bought a new boat lately :twisted: )
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

roger wrote:Can I play...
Hi Roger,

you are welcome to have goes in the Beachcomber and Pisces.

Anyone fancy a relay race?

Nigel :shock:
roger

Post by roger »

Nigel,

Thankyou I look forward to a date to play, Whitefriars is it? :)
I think its only fair to warn you that at Netley I/we managedto break Shoestring,the GP, and Chris Bs Albacore all in two days so I understand if you want to reconsider. :cry:
Happy to say it was all minor damage and boats are mostly ready to go again. Thanks to Chirs Barlows kind donations and assistance.
Angie is threatening to come and take pics as well.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

I bought a Man O War late 2007, collected it on a Friday night took it to the club Sat
Cleaned it, rigged it, had one sail in it thinking I like this then one of my cadets borrowed it for a blast and I ended up selling it to him.

Nice boat, bit kinder than a Laser and on our lake just as quick if not better as with longer waterline it seems to track much better.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
davidh

Post by davidh »

Has anyone a Harrier that they could bring along??

Putting a more modern, 'smod' view on things, the Supernova is another boat that shows just how dated the Laser has become. I ended up sailing a laser in a charity event and hated it (it reminded me constantly why I didn't like lasers), then the following week I took a Supernova out - to look at the rig as it wasn't working. What a sweet and vice free boat that was compared to the one I'd been in the week before!!

One cannot escape the importance of the Laser, nor the depth of competition it offers, but is it the 'best' boat...no, not by a mile!!

D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

roger wrote:I understand if you want to reconsider.
Hi Roger,

no need to worry on that score. Both boats are pretty solid. If something breaks when you are in them it will save me the embarasment of falling in if it was me. I did get hit by a major gust in the beachcomber (F6 plus) last season just as I turned it into a dead run. I'd swear it hit 15 knts :D and it put a minor bend in the short mast. I just turned the mast around and the next big gust will straighten it :) . Fun stuff though. It is the only time I have experienced that wobbly knife edge feeling that makes you believe that the only thing in the water is the rudder.

If it is really blowy I will bring two beachcombers instead.

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

Nigel wrote: Fun stuff though. It is the only time I have experienced that wobbly knife edge feeling that makes you believe that the only thing in the water is the rudder.

If it is really blowy I will bring two beachcombers instead.

Nigel
Yes I love that feeling. The margin between a swim and in control and its alldown to you :?

Two beachcombers??? Do you have the whole UK fleet??
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

Just to keep the options going we also have a Force 5 on the cadet fleet. Out of all of them I prefer this as it is a very easy boat to sail with all control lines to centre, high boom, good sized cockpit.

Much more forgiving than a laser though we have now got a laser sail on it as the standard rig was a little overpowered.

No idea what vintage but must be 70's I would think with wooden daggerboard and rudder.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Roger,
roger wrote:Two beachcombers??? Do you have the whole UK fleet??
I have two GRP ones and the remains of a wooden one. I know of three other wooden ones in various states of repair. It sounds excessive but the best condition one cost me £30.

It would be very interesting to see the Force 5 and Man o'War in action. The Force 5 seems to be thriving in the US ( http://www.force5.us/cms15/) but not here and the Man o'War has the Rod MacAlpine-Downie connection.

Nigel
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

This is starting to sound like a very interesting meeting and one definitely worth the camera recording. Almost a recreating of the One of a Kind events. We need to find a Bonito,a Sea Bat an Minisail and a few others and this could be really good.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That one has been for sale for ever. When I contacted him about it, he was unable to tell me anything about it or to send me any pictures. Something not right, somewhere,
Rupert