Dulux Paints

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Re: Dulux Paints

Post by Rupert »

I have a little palm sander too, that has taken a lot of abuse, a 1/3 sheet sander which I find pretty poor, and a random orbital which I shall burn out in no time (must buy Bosch again next time) but I find the mouse type really good for sanding inside boats as it does the corners so well. Since I bought the B&D mouse several years ago it has been my most used sander, hence the fire, I suppose!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
I have brought from Lidal a 18.5 volt rechargable drill for £28 + extra battery £7, Belt sander £28 Crocodile saw £28 and a heat gun which I forget the price off. These have lasted at least 5years and seem to be going strongly. I did buy a Wicks rechargable delta sander which was fantastic at getting to those difficult places. I was so good that Ilet it to someone and have never had it returned. I'm on the look out for another so if anybody knows were I can get one please post. Lidal and Aldi tools are all to the German specification which I think is higher that the present BSI spec.

Cheers Al Finn 424 etc.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

A quick update on the Teamac paint...... created a new colour with 25% Signal Red and 75% White. And the results are below. Very impressed with the paint, good hard finish.
solo1.jpg
(365.2 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
solo2.jpg
(358.63 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thats very pink...
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I was asked to paint it pink.....so I did. It now matches a pink International One Metre.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Solo looks good!

In the end I stuck with what I have used in the past System 65 2 pack paint from Serene.

It is also woth noting that Sikkens do a range of paints under the Rubbol banner which come in white or can be mixed to any 4 digit BS colour. You can get the mix from Brewers if they have the Sikkens mix matcher in store or they send it to Sikkens to mix up the colour you want. This is really tough stuff as I used it on my OK 1946 2 years ago and it is still as good as new,tough as old boots.

Thanks for all your valued input on this thread.

Richard Battey

MR 908 (Looking good)
OK (Looking very very good)
MR2601 (Looking very sick and at a viking funeral!)

http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products/Alphabetical/

http://www.serenepaints.co.uk/viehclesystems.htm
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have lots of bright red paint - Blakes top coat - that was used on an OK I used to have. I now want to use it on the MOGO. Can I use domestic exterior wood undercoat, or should I fork out for the real thing? Likewise, what about varnish - would floor varnish do it? Not that I'm cheapskate or anything, but so far the thing has cost me £9.99 and I don't want to spoil my record!

By the way, Screwfix are very cheap for sanding pads for delta sanders etc, and you don't have to buy assorted grade packs like you do in the DIY sheds. Their sanding rolls are good too.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've used household undercoats many times, but once or twice have felt that the paint hasn't lasted as well as it might have. MOGO would seem to be an excellent test bed for cheap undercoat, especially if it gets her on the water faster. As for the varnish, if it is waterproof and you aren't worried about a perfect glossy finish, go for it! Though if you want the job done quicker, nip down to the garden centre for some G4 or V8 pond seal. Job done in a day!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Even if you don't finish off with G4 it is a cracking sealer before the varnish but give it some time to let the volaties all come out. Gannet and Vivette have the inside of the hulls G4 only and have gone 2 years now without flaking so am very pleased. It's runny stuff so you have to watch for runs which turn opaque - it does need some moisture to cure however but what's in the wood itself is supposed to be enough. Having said that I capsize often enough that the boats are like ponds anyway. 2 years ago at Forfar in MR1728 I caught a gust at the edge of the loch, couped and suddenly became an aquarium keeper to about 200 minnows and sticklebacks which thankfully went out the transom flaps and self bailers but if it had been Gannet with none of those modern acoutrements I would have had dried fish in the boat for God knows how long.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

try it and report back!

my feeling on this as said before is:

You get what you pay for......but the expensive house/trade/Dulux paints are pretty much as good. Certainly I have had no problems.

however, I do have a preference for the marine undercoats, they do just seem to be higher solid content and stick on for longer.

but do try it and tell us how you get on

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Ed,

I would agree.

As previously mentioned when speaking with Brewers regarding 'Trade' Dulux paint it is much, much tougher than the Dulux off the shelf at B&Q as it has more pigment and does not have loads of Chalk :shock: added to thicken it out as the lower grade Dulux does. I did buy some trade paint and applied it to a test section and I have to say it is tough as old boots plus they (Brewers) can mix the paint to any RAL colour as they mixed 7035 light grey for me and it is spot on.

Sikkens is even tougher - see link above.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

to add...............in fact it does not have any chalk added to the TRADE paint and you notice this when brushing. :wink:
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Garry said:-
suddenly became an aquarium keeper to about 200 minnows and sticklebacks which thankfully went out the transom flaps and self bailers but if it had been Gannet
Did you see last night's nature programme about sardines. All those dolphins and gannets gathering of the East Cape, waiting for the Sardine shoals.

One can't really imagine fleets of boats doing the same thing in Forfar, but it might look like this! :shock: :shock: :? :o
Sail-Search2.jpg
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

At least it wasn't Gannet that the capsize happened in!!