Old 505's

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ent228

Old 505's

Post by ent228 »

This is just out of general interest.

I've been browsing a book by Yves-Louis Pinaud, Sailing from start to finnish, its got lots of pictures of old 505's with wooden masts and snubbing winches, see the picture.

Some more browsing brought up the link to a set of pictures of an old wood 505 in Australia which seems almost fossilised,
must be the dry weather, one like it in the UK would have long rotted away. It makes interesting viewing.

Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik/se ... 523269212/
Attachments
Resized 505 scan from Y-L Pinaud.jpg
(62.03 KiB) Downloaded 717 times
Michael Brigg

Re: Old 505's

Post by Michael Brigg »

...And to think Ed thought he had a problem with his foredeck finish.
505.jpg
(114.05 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Might have a small problem getting it up to wieght I should think!
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm loving those toe straps. I also love 5ohs. This just goes to show how truly avant garde they were when they first came out.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

If you look back to late last autumn, there was quite a discussion on here about 505s - and just what a great boat they'd be for the CVRDA circuit. Maybe not at Baltic Wharf, nor Whitefriars, even Shearwater........ but Netley, Clwedog, Roadford, Brightlingsea, they'd be great. The only trouble is that you need a crew who really knows their spinnaker work and is a true trapeze 'artiste' - then you need a helm who is not going to be fazed by the awesome boat the boat generates.

I'd love to get hold of an original Fairey 505 but I think they've all gone to France, where there is a well established 505 classic scene. One came up on fleabay a while back and despire being tatty and needing a lotr of work, being without rig or trailer, went for more than than a Parker 25, with the big kite, on a combi!!!

MInd you.... Brooksie knows/knew of a Morrison Carbon/kevlar hull going at a good price....put yer harness on and we'll pot hunt for a summer!! (sadly though the boat is not CVRDA legal). BUT here is the crazy bit. A 25 year old 505 includes the Kyrwoods, the early Parker 25s and the late Rondars (not to mention the odd Lindsay here and there if you can find one), all of which are excellent hulls, that last well, take the modern rig tensions without too many problems.... and would be 100% CVRDA legal.

Tempting...tempting.....

I'm including a pic that Dave C sent to me. It is one from Austin Farrar's collection (so thanks Dave, this tell us a lot) and shows and early (Fairey) 505 being dropping into the water, possibly at La Baule.

All togther now, "I want, I want, I want"

D
Attachments
fairey 505.jpg
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There really is something about varnished Fairey Finns and 505s - possibly it is because theFirefly/Albacore hull shape is seen more often and has lost some of the "wow" factor, but Dave is right with the "I want one" tag!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

as well as the 505s, Faireys also made Flying Dutchman hulls, but I am not aware of any that have survived.

I mentioned in my string back to Nessa the Lindsay boats. Of course, the most famous of these was 6333, the amazing boat that became 'Grace'. Tony Smith took a mould from the hull and created a carbon fibre version for Larry Marks - Lary reckoned it was the stiffest and fastest 505 he'd ever sailed.

But Grace was just like a fairey boat (other than it was cold moulded) , with all varnished wood.

I'm not sure just how good an old Fairey boat would be nowadays, for despite being a 'one design' over time the hull shape has been tweaked within the build tolerances to create a 'better' hull shape. For sailing in CVRDA events though.... it would be fun!

Play it again Sam.... " I want I want I want"

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

One of the best boats I've ever sailed and I put quite a few Krywoods together for the original Racing Sailboats company.

That photo is one of the boats being launched into the dock/lock at Ouistream I believe for a French/British team racing event.

:lol:
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

One of the oldest 505 (all wood) was the property of one Mr Hedouin in the seventies in my former club in Coutainville (West Cotentin , between Granville and Carteret) with a then brand new and then super competitive Cheret sails (the same maker that won so many titles with the Pajot brothers)and a fartgraphit hgull finish it was almost as fast as the local champion who used a 2nd hand Parker(wood beam on transom, but courtaulds grafil reinforcements in hull and side tanks) in local and national races.

The same boat reappeared , still in good condition for the 505 Jubilee in Meulan on the seine at CVP (Marcel Buffet's club)

Interestingly enough yhe then revolutionary chrono photographs (tacking, gybing) in Pratique de la voile were taken from the Meulan Bridge and featured a then young Marcel Buffet...

This and many other things about Yves louis Pinaud are in a V and v article published a few months before pinaud's recent death
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

The glorious Rowsell/Morrison 505 is still for sale which amazes me as it is a truly beautifull boat and with all the bells and whistles. If I did not already have too many toys I would buy it myself. I enclose a couple of recent pictures.
earls & 505 008.jpg
(57.08 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Attachments
earls & 505 007.jpg
(53.32 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

I have already tried to reach someone who I thought would go for this (and then let me drive it... method in the madness) but he won't commit.

Otherwise...I'd be doing the winter events in it already

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

THat is just SOOOOOOOOO gorgeous.

I can only think of Mr Toad, sitting in the road (after being thrown from his Gypsy caravan) going "poop poop"

I'm sat here, drooling over my keyboard going " I want, I want I want".

How much work is needed to get it afloat?

D
David H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Oh noooo, when I sold my 505 I thought to myself that if a good wooden decked or all wood version came up then I would be very tempted. Could the locations/costs etc be sent via PM?

Many thanks
Harrier 25
505 7163
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Unfortunately the full line from the Who's Magic Bus is "I want it, I want it, I want it. You can't have it"
John
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

The mast was inverted on a three sail, v gusty reach when the crew inadvertantly let off a shroud adjuster!!! no other damage was done other than to the mast. I do not think the mast is repairable as it is slightly bent in two planes. However an exact replacement is available from a guy in Oxford who's details Neil has for £150, or Ian Pinnel has a lightly used Cirrus which should fit for £390, and be a good upgrade.
There is no other work, other than the mast the boat is a complete package with lots of spares.
Horribly tempting isn't it and CVRDA eligable in under twelve months, but still competitive at open level.
£1750 ovno at Roadford.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious