G4

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

G4

Post by Nessa »

This has become a subject so close to my heart I thought it merited its own thread.

The man at the Fenland Fisheries confirmed that they had G4, but was aghast to find I wanted to put it on a boat. Also, his prices were phenomenal and he didn't have much in stock (perhaps he is trying to seal the Fens?).

However, I have now found in the depths of the garage a can of Wickes Water Seal which says it is for brick, cement, timber and other porous surfaces. The blurb says its silicon resins penetrate the material to be covered to form a tough, waterproof seal.

Is this G4 in another guise? It would be a bonus if it was because it is bound to be cheaper and I am going near a Wickes today on my voyage to Cardiff. Can I risk it?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Re: G4

Post by Garry R »

G4 on ebay is about £35 for 2.5L delivered - I think that you get 1L as well. How much were you being charged by the pond company? A tip is to decant it into smaller plastic bottles as soon as you get it as it will form a skin if moisture gets to it. If you do this it keeps for ages. Why the guy was horrified that it would be used on a boat I have no idea.
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

No, nothing like G4. Wickes Water Seal claims to be a kerosene/hydrosulpherised naptha base with additives including silicones. It allegedly remains microporous. It is specifically described as unsuitable for horizontal surfaces and below ground applications and is ineffective against water pressure.

If you put it on a boat you will have a nearly impossible job removing silicone contamination before any paint, varnish, adhesive or sealant will ever stick to that surface again *and* it won't do any good.

G4 is specifically suitable for marine use, is effective even if immersed 24/7 to a considerable depth. consolidates friable surfaces, and is an effective adhesive primer for polyester resin work and most marine paints and varnishes.

IMHO finding out Wickes Water Seal had been applied to a boat I was considering buying would result in me walking away from the deal no matter what as the remedy would be to strip the fittings for Ebay and have a bonfire.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Thank you Ian - that's exactly the sort of advice I was hoping for. The MOGO may yet make a bonfire (of my vanities perhaps) but at least it won't be down to the unwitting application of Wickes water seal.

I shall look into buying some G4 from ebay then, though I have been trying to avoid thast site for fear of straying into temptation!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

g4 is on a buy it now basis so you know what you are going to pay
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

don't know how costs compare.....so do tell us what you find out.

I have always bought G4 from Cornwall Fibreglass Supplies who have been very reliable

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk

As a matter of interest:

G4 made by Bondamarine was originally a 'marine' product, but when they found the market hard to break into, they pushed it towards sealing concrete and as a bonding coat prior to fibreglassing.

Also, Bondamarine do have a wider range of different types of G4 at a range of prices. Some with UV protection, some sold as wood hardeners, some with colour etc etc.

But guys at CFS are adamant that it is all the same stuff with different adatives - thinner, UV-protection, pigment etc.

My only issues with it were the worries about removing it 5 years on.

These seem to be partially gone now, as I have discovered it is possible, though damn hard, to remove.

Any other feedback about cost or anything else will be appreciated

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I get mine at Stone Lane Garden Centre, Lydiard Millicent, that well known boat building centre! I expect they would post you some if you asked, but if you have a similar (non chain) place near you they may well have it.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Acres supply at Corsely also a well known boat building centre near Warminster supplied me with a 1 litre tin for about £18 but that was a year or so ago.
Nessa make sure you buy a clear variety. The black one tends to hide the beauty of the wood.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks Roger - I'll check up on Acres Supply since I can see their place across the valley from this window!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
bert

Post by bert »

Hi Nessa

I used a watersealer that was designed for the job that dryed to a varnish type finsh from a chandlers precisely so I did not have this sort of problem ( is this stuff good enough ? sort of thing ) & for £15ish I bought enough to do the canoe hull twice.
So the saving of £`s against time makes the indecision not worthwhile?

My advice is bit the bullet & buy some from the chandlers & start the boat repairs.
Last edited by bert on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Bondamarine G4 is good enough, believe me.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
bert

Post by bert »

bert wrote: My advice is bit the bullet & buy some from the chandlers & start the boat repairs.
What I am trying to say badly is.

Is it worth it to waste a couple of days / weeks trying save a pound or two?.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

What I am saying is: :P

Using G4 is not saving a bob or two.

To be honest, there are cheaper varnishes out there - that I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole.

It is a brilliant product, originally produced for marine use. It has been well tested by many of the folk on this forum and there has been very little negative feedback....if any.

The only issues, I have, it shares with many other marine polyurethane coating systems of being possibly hard to remove. I would also recommend that it is used mainly as a primer rather than a top coat due to the lack of UV inhibitors in it. Although you can buy a uv-inhibited version.

If you want to buy it with a label that has a picture of a boat on the outside of the tin from a chandler:

Please do: http://www.marinemegastore.com/product- ... Q05172.htm

but you will pay a premium for the same product. :?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Bert does have a point that if a seller of G4 isn't convienent and you happen to live near a chandler that sells UCP, it would be easier just to buy the UCP. Given the choice on the same shelf, though, I'd go for the G4, and not due to the price difference.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I have used both ucp (on the first planker) and G4 (on Shoestring) given the option I would use g4 everytime. Partly because of price (3 coats for the price of one ) but mainly because ucp stinks and used to make me feel very wheezy. I also think G4 is easier to apply.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353