G4

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

Re: G4

Post by Nessa »

I am confused because the G4 I have seen says a 500g tin covers 1sqm. Is that right? Surely then if the boat is roughly 8sqm, a 500g tin is £8 (or so) and I need to put on three coats, I'm looking at quite a lot of money?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Nessa I do sympathise, I am not competent to advise on covering power of G4 I'll leave that the the more qualified like Ed & Garry, - I do not DIY these days - pausing merely to point out that boats are expensive and holes in the water into which we all our money, more boats, more money. I find Two Dragons, a Knarr and a launch (Plus ex wives.) keep me hard up!
Simples.
bert

Post by bert »

The woodsealer that I used was used as a woodsealer & primer for the epifanes varnish to go on top & because it gaves a clear base I found it to be ideal for MY purposes which were to make a varnished boat look great again.
The finsh will not be completed by whitefrairs but will be ( hopefully ) well on the way & after all I brought the boat to sail :lol: not polish :evil:.
So for ME the relative small saving in £`s was not worth the relative long time spent trying to get the G4.
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa, The 1litre can of G4 I bought covered Shoestrings beautiful rolled decks 3 times and still some left over. It was a few years ago but it cost about £18.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A 1/2 L can did 3 coats on a British Moth deck. It is like painting with water, almost.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I think I bought 2.5 L and it did all the sealing inside and out of a firefly (plus the decks - 3 coats each at least and there is still some left over so if it is for your MOGO then 1L will be fine (and you'll be able to build a pond to put it in!!) If you are going to put varnish on top then wait a while until it completely hardens. It is a waxy sort of finish which needs rubbed down. I didn't bother to put "real" varnish inside the hull and it has lasted superbly well after 2 seasons. UCP will cost an arm and a leg and I see no advantages - I did use it on the first Merlin I restored and am still paying off the debt!!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I presume the cover properties on the tin are assuming that you are putting it on undressed concrete.

Incidentally I'vr come across some interesting correspondence in the 1931 Yachts & motorboats annual about the pros and cons of painting the bilges with concrete??!! :shock:
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I bought a 5kg tin from CFS for under £35.00 and a litre of thinners for under a tenner.

Seems very cheap to me.

I always meant to decant it.....but forgot, so have lost a bit due to skinning, but it is still OK 6 months later.

Like UCP and Blakes WoodSeal, you do have to be careful with the lids as they will become locked on if you don't use some prevention method. I have been doing up top over some thin plastic and that appears to work well.

I have no idea about coverage, although would consider it typical of any other varnish. I tend to thin quite a bit and lay on a few more coats. I don't find it as bad as say Tonkinoil which I find very hard to make it go very far.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It is for the top deck of the MOGO, so what Rupert says is very helpful. I think I should be able to get some fairly locally, so will give it a go. The decking etc is never going to be beautiful again, to be honest - it has endured too much neglect. I will probably G4 it in time for Whitefriars, but the polishing etc may have to wait - as bert says, the sailing is the important thing.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

She is somewhat longer, don't forget, and most of that is foredeck! A litre should see you through, though.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have found a litre can for £16.75 at Frosts Garden Centre near Sandy (where there is no sand), and she just happens to be driving past tonight on her way to sing with the GGs....funny how life works out sometimes. Now I just have to find a diy shed that has Dulux trade primer - no joy so far on this one.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

In Acres Supply in Corsley G4 is £18 for a "1kg" tin which looked about a litre to me.
Nessa - you won't get "trade" Dulux in a DIY shed - find the "decorator's merchants" section in yellow pages and there'll probably be an ICI Dulux Decorator Centre or a Brewers or similar. Dreadfully male chauvanistic places though :(
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

aye, a bit like Screwfix. I have found Brewers and am off there tomorrow. And so looking forward to it. :twisted:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ronnie Barker said:-
"Four Candles..."
etc.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qu9MptWyCB8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qu9MptWyCB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael Brigg