Low stretch rope

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Low stretch rope

Post by Garry R »

I have seen many references to "low stretch rope" for use as a main halyard but what specification do the members understand by this definition? Dyneema etc and what thickness for a main halyard on a Merlin or Firefly?
Rupert

Re: Low stretch rope

Post by Rupert »

I've used dyneema in the past (4mm) and it seems OK, though it does stretch a tiny bit. My new mast came supplied with a Kevlar halyard, which has no stretch at all to worry about, but hates knots and can go BANG with no warning. Mine hasn't yet, but I must cut 2 inches off the end to move the stress points.
Rupert
ACB

Post by ACB »

(puts hand up sheepishly...) F3000 has 3mm Dyneema halyards as of the start of last season and F3163 has wire. There is no difference between them that I can detect*, so far as stretch goes, but the Dyneema is notably easier to deal with.

* I am something of a coarse dinghy sailor, however.
Last edited by ACB on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

3mm Marlow D12 dyneema works well for a main halyard on my Albacore. If I had gone for V12 Vectran, I'd have a lot less initial creep, but the D12 is acceptable. Its sleeved with the jacket off some ordinary braided rope for a couple of metres in the middle for ease of handling when sweating it up the last fraction of an inch and cleating it. I'd never go back to a wire main halyard.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I must cut 2 inches off the end to move the stress points.
Thanks for the tip Rabbi Rupert!!!!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have found it at 95p/metre plus postage. Anyone know if you can get it cheaper than this without going the whole hog with a 100m roll?
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am told I will be looking for some 3mm stuff when I fit the contender with the external halyard (at the bottom of the 'to do' list) but I have been warned against using the same stuff for the trap wires. I may though do the very end bit of the halyard ie the bit that goes as far as the cleat, in wire to be on the safe side, in which case I will do something more skin friendly for the pulling up bit.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Try this - good price and no carriage that I am aware of. I mailed him and had a prompt reply so that was a good start.

http://www.sailingmad.com
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

How coincidental - I also ordered my stuff from him last night via ebay!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

That's Bob the Albacore.... He wanted to re-string his Albacore but didn't want to pay chandlery prices. In order to get to what he wanted to pay per metre he had to have a container load made!
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club