A new forum

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
neil
Site Admin

A new forum

Post by neil »

Please use this area for off topic chats, discussions of Flanders and Swan, complaining about yoof etc......
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Re: A new forum

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hello Banter, and welcome to the CVRDA. :)

We are a group of serious :!: :?: sailors who like to have a chat at the bar after racing but because we are mature we have families to run and school runs and mortgages to consider, so I suppose this is our "snug." It can be as smoke filled or pristine as we wish. It is comfortably sat on our workdesk and helps pass the week until the next sailing oportunity. A glass of favoured nectar is often in hand so do expect the odd typo.

Like any clubhouse there are plenty of in jokes and everyone is welcome. I am not an anonymous codenamed guest and my Name is who I am so I endevour to be myself.

I'm writing this as an opportunity to be the first on the "new" "naughty chair" area of the forum where discursive and tangential discussion might occasionally find itself sent when it goes into orbit.

Welcome to the "Headmasters study" (is that abscence of apostrophe correct Garry?) of the CVRDA :twisted: :evil: :cry: :( :shock: :lol:

This is an interesting development actually. I'll be interested to see if this corner of the forum is as popular (ahem) as the "Social Events" section which perhaps duplicates its role. I recall I was frequently sent out of class at school (for talking in class or looking out of the windows would you believe!)

So to start as it is intended, is this is like the detention class in "Hairspray?" (a great movie, music so much better than Grease, almost as good as Flanders and Swann. :wink: )
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

I took the trouble to ring the eastern HQ at Brightlingsea to see if you had form in that parish, for now we have the 'banter' section we can be as rude and dismissive about them wot hail from less treasured pastures. As already mentioned, only a handicap bandit from the east would show the lack of the social graces to turn up at the first event and try to win it - shame on you.

So yes, it's (and here the apostrophe is required, as it's is a shortened and somewhat undesireable form of 'it is') the naughty step for you.

But oh Gary - what have you done?????? I went on line, took the apostrophe out, since then the podcast FM site has been very much 'down'.

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

davidh wrote:......now we have the 'banter' section we can be as rude and dismissive about them wot hail from less treasured pastures
Forum Etiquette :wink:
2) Please be very careful of using any national or regional ribbing

In the club-room, we often tease and joke with our friends, especially regarding their unfortunate choice of where to live or their nationality, but when we do this in person, we do it with a grin. On the forum, we miss these subtle clues - that this is all a joke. It is very easy to offend, when you did not mean to. So be very careful - avoid perceived national characteristics and stereotypes. To be honest, even regional competitiveness (East Coast vs South Coast) is only of limited interest to most of us and annoys far far more people than it amuses

If you really feel you 'must' have that laugh.....do use the emoticons to show you are joking.

But on the whole.....remember point 1 and just be careful what you say
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Surely the study belongs to the headmaster? And even if there are 2 or more headmasters, an apostrophy is still needed, just moved along one?
By the way, is it just me who hasn't got permission to use the grown-up bits of the forum? I assume it is still work in progress?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have a boat with a "whiff of the east coast " about her that is true. One day you might even add a little petrochemical Netley overtone to it?

Flycatcher on the other hand has true form on the East Coast and could be said to be a "lucky" boat as she fell into the Brigg family hands after winning The Felixtowe Sherren."

Now you may be aware that the Firefly class have been "Given" F4000 as a prize for a "Golden ticket" draw at the end of the season. There's no need to scoff wonka bars like a Finn sailor however, just enter a few firefly open meetings. Each entry will gain a ticket.

The last time a firefly was offered as a prize was at The Felixtowe Sherren when Jamie Birkett, the then owner of Flycatcher won in about 1972 I think. He took home F3372 and F3184 was on the market.

A lucky boat indeed! 8) 8)
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Rupert wrote:Surely the study belongs to the headmaster? And even if there are 2 or more headmasters, an apostrophy is still needed, just moved along one?
By the way, is it just me who hasn't got permission to use the grown-up bits of the forum? I assume it is still work in progress?
bugger. that means I've made it too secure again.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thats better, thank you!
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Interesting this point sensativity to National sensativities.
Led to a rather exciting swapping of views with the significant other.
Sitting here in the Mediteranean sun.
She is boring about saying thank you in Spanish, Greek or whatever language, saying it is polite to use the counterparies language, (Even if you can't speak it?) itonly seems to lead to a torrent of word she can't understand.
Let us for example take the Japanese if one takes her view it is better to call them Nipponese (Or the shortened version!) than Japanese (Or the shortened version.). My Father and Godfather who both had considerable experience of the Japenese during the little bit of mis 20th century global insanity and the subsequent healing process were adamament the Japanes found the former insulting and the latter - long or short form perfectly acceptable as we do Brit or British.
I think we can ocassionaly get rather over worried about causing offence.
Discuss?
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rather depends on wether you are Jo Brand or Carol Thatcher. (Or an ethnic male French tennis player with "big" hair.)

A similar diccusion on the "Talk Rowing " came to a bit of a head when someone in a discussion about the the chances of a Black Ex Junior world champion in the Cambridge trial crews quoted the past Cambridge coach (and ex Olympic coach of the Ballieu/Hart 1970's double scull) about an ethnic oarsman while commentating on the race.

"Oh look!" he said "The Three man is so wealthy he's got his man rowing for him!" :shock: :?

The discussion in fact was simply about the almost complete absence of Black athletes from the top rowing scene and wether this reflected a lack of interest in the sport in Africa, or simply that Rowing as a sport did not suit aspects of physiology between the different types of athlete. Nevertheless a firm rebuttal from the Moderator was required and resulted in removal of the postings which after an initially witty riposte had become quite unpleasant. That particular forum seems to be packed full of testosterone charged athletes and the posts are often unpleasant and ill considered to the point of football hoolighan mentality.

Most people can see the funny side of a throw away comment but I can see that use of innappropriate terms can attract hits from the wrong kind of user given the manner in which search engines work on words rather than sentiments. We do need to be careful on that account but I can hardly see occasional reference to the state of mud in different estuaries leading to any great harm.

Thought we'd not heard from A.G. for a while. Keep up the hard work on Greening up the world out there and don't use up too many Airmiles will you now! :lol:
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have a feeling that Neil's point has little to do with the rights and wrongs of political correctness or raceism and more to do with the impression people who don't know that those insulting each other are continuing 30 years of bar room banter get when reading what sounds like regionalism gone mad. It can seem less like having a dig at each other over a shared pint (the intended feel, I'm sure) and more like someone shouting very loudly across the room, so everyone hears, and it sounds more like insults than banter.
Or, to put it another way, humour often falls flat on forums. I should know, mine often does...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm sorry, my views go along with those of AG!
(but then, as the offender carrying the caution, I would - as Mandy Rice Davies said of John Profumo, say that).

But there is more......................

When I'm not trying to write about sailing, or bailing the Smokers out... rigging 505 masts or any other of these boaty related things, I like to ride my Honda motorbike. I'm therefore a member of another forum, for Honda VFR lovers, where the comments are far more fruity and direct, yet no one seems to take offense (nor is this forum peopled by hairy hell's angels type bikers... most are middle aged, white collar workers).

BUT I am well aware of an associated group, not that dissimilar to the CVRDA, who recently all split apart, in a welter of accusations and recriminations, over the very same issue of management and control. So yes, care when placing posts does need to be exercised, yet at the same time, there is an equal requirement of care to not apply a narrow set of standards onto the group as a whole. Never has this been more important that in the east v west banter...... it has caused no offense and others have willingly joined in. To paraphrase AG, get over it!

There is also a danger of double standards creeping in, where one thing is said in public on this forum, whilst other, less favourable remarks are made elsewhere on other less well known websites. So in return for a little more care being taken, let us have a little more of a 'real people/real life' approach shown. The danger otherwise is we'll all end up talking like glum old *********s fit only for sailing one design plastics fantastics!!
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I'm sorry, my views go along with those of AG!
(but then, as the offender carrying the caution, I would - as Mandy Rice Davies said of John Profumo, say that).
...which in the context of what Mandi said,
"Well he would say that wouldn't he"
(actually I thought it was about Lord Astor) would imply that actually you don't go with A.G.'s views on East/South estuaries!? Surely that can't be so.

Knowing A.G. he might even know a few anecdotes about Mandi. (It wouldn't surprise me if Profumo was a Wykhemist!)

Time to go and watch "Scandal" again. I wonder if that would count as "Additional services" on my Virgin account? :oops:

Political sleaze was so much more interesting in the 60's
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Michael is correct it was Lord Astor not the Profumo Affair (He was an Etonian by the way!) You know about the Wychamist The Etonian and the Harrovian, with a girl in a room? The Wychamists suggests they get the lady a chair, the Harrovian fetches one the Etonian sits on it! Another court case at the time: my first girl friend had a father who wa the prosecutor of Lady Chatterlys lover (I did not know this before the dinner party but the case was being discussed I said what a pratt the prosecuting counsel must be "Is this sort of book you would wish your wives and servants to read" I was nudged by my first ever girl friend and left before the port!
Feeling V Grumpy as the three of us are desperately trying to lose 15kg (not each!) to weigh in (max crew weights!) worse than the Grand National.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

One more point Michael it wasn't the sex or the money it was lying to the House of Commons, these days it's what they do!
Simples.