A new forum

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Re: A new forum

Post by Rupert »

I'd not though of you as Noah, Ed, (more just an expression) but if the cap fits...
Just as well Uffa didn't design the Ark, though, as while it would have been very quick, only 1/2 the species would have fitted on board, and most of them would have drowned when gybing at the wingmark! Instead, Faireys got the job and put them all in the Falcon - safe as houses under that foredeck.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Ed, Have you spoken to ACB yet about Sula!!!

I dont think the Forum has any class barriers or any prejudice either. Niether do any exist on the water. I was so pleased to have finally got to a CVRDA event and may not have done so if my sailing desire had not been well fed by this Forum.

I like this layout. Not sure you have to delete banter though. I think we owe it to Niel to behave ouselves well enough not to require his input though.

The Restoration section is a place where I can resurrect my project without "breakingforum ettiquette" when ever I get time to pull the cover of long enough to strip a few lands. When she is finished there is a complete chronology of all the high and low points and all the links and references for anyone else who needs advice in future.

Wow! How fantastic is that?? :shock: :) :shock:

When I've had enough I can come into the warmth of the Banter area for some light relief. We live in a society where the company of othe boatie anoracks is a bit scarce. The forum is an inclusive, not an exclusive one and I dont think I seen any dismisive or derogatory posts ever.

I think Cruising Rallies (Picnics for example) could be included in events. On open sea as Passage races for example, or There and Back. (To a beach for example.) If I could get an event up at Bosham or Chichester harbour this could be done for example.

I think the Social Events section need to be used a bit more to coordinate attendance at boatshows, Boat jumbles etc.

There, thats my pennyworth.

SUperb 10years, definately worth £1.8 million. :lol:
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

It would be good to hear the points of view of a few of the old school. I, like Ed am a little concerned about the forum and wonder where the people who used to post regularly are. Have they been driven away by some of the banter.
Are they fed up with something?

Where are you all? If we can improve the site and the format at events let me know. Either openly on the forum or by email.

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

davidh wrote:Ed,

I think you are worrying too much! The CVRDA looks to me to be in robust and ruddy health and if Whitefriars is anything to go by, then the Association is set fair to enjoy the celebration of the big 10th birthday.

Of course it has changed and yes, the recent debates have been searching, but this surely is a sign of how good things are, rather than the reverse.

What I think is more important is that you recognise just what a service the CVRDA does do for the wider sport of dinghy sailing. It gives a voice on some of the issues that would otherwise not get heard.... and that is important!

Think along those lines and all of a sudden the CVRDA looks very different. Just think where we'd all be without it!!!

D
This post has been nagging at me all day, and as I was cooking the kids tea it occurred to me what the problem (if there is one) is. I'm not sure that the cvrda is really in a position to do things for the wider sport of dinghy sailing, and I doubt the majority of members think there is a need.
We are a small association of broadly likeminded people who, for as many reasons as there are people, sail boats which were designed and built long ago. Fed up with racing against modern boats and being given handicaps suited to boats 40 years newer, it made sense to race against each other. The forum helps owners of such boats both practically and (possibly!) emotionally, but with a very small part time committee and small turnouts at meetings, it is difficult to see how much influence we can possibly be on sailing as a whole. It is nice in some ways to be a rallying point for those who think varnish goes somewhere apart from nails, but I don't really think as an organization we are ready to march on Eastleigh!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

I'm sorry that the comment I made concerned you - but I really do believe that the value of the CVRDA extends far beyond the forum and the 'classic' events that are held.
Already the number of classes that are seeking to have a classic wing is growing apace. Would all this have happened without the CVRDA feeding the need for this all to happen? Maybe, but then, maybe not. Then there is the knowledge that has gravitated here - on everything from Cats to Mermaids, with helpful information on cotton sails, veneers and wooden masts that might well have been lost.

So, whichever way you look at things, the CVRDA has been - and remains, a force for the good. IN my email I was trying to pay tribute to Ed and the other founders of the Association for without it, the dinghy scene in the UK would be all the poorer!

Instead of worrying further about all this - lets all get out there and do some sailing in boats that would otherwise have been lost in the noise of the plastic fantastics.

Here's to the next ten years!!!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

My opinion as a newbie is that I have found an invaluable source of information, not only on restoring the more senior members of my fleet, but also on repairing the plastic not so fantastic contender (it is poorly).

I do up old boats partly because I like the look of them but also, in the case of the MOGO, the Aged P and her streaker, that is the only way I can afford to sail more than one type of boat (even the c boat is oldish).

I suspect as the credit crunch continues more and more sailors will need the skills to diy their repairs and maintenance, and there might be an increase in ebay buying also with boats put together with bits and pieces (I was very interested to be constructing the Mogo out of various body parts whilst also writing an assignment on Frankenstein!) Such sailors would be well advised to come here and learn how to do it properly and cheaply (G4 has changed my life!)

From a racing sailor's point of view I am very pleased to have found a community open to the idea that not everyone's boat will sail to the handicap of the newest members of their class eg the Aged P, and that there are races that I can attend with Agamemnon and attempt to compete amongst equals.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rich

Post by Rich »

For me this the best sailing forum on the net!.

I am not a good sailor and never will be having long ago resigned myself to the back of the fleet. However on this site that has never seemed to matter as the vibe has always seemed be one of 'all are welcome' unlike some other forums. My dumb questions about restoration have always been met with helpfull and positive replies even if they relate to a non CVRDA boat such as the Phantom and for this I am very gratefull. Like Nessa has said this site is an invaluable source of information and it is surprising how often posters with maintenance and restoration questions on other forums get the reply of 'try the CVRDA'.

With regards to the banter here, I have always thought it to be quite mild and affable (and long may it remain so) when compared to what goes on many other forums. There is nothing worse than a heavily moderated forum and I feel that we are long way from needing that. Banter should be just that 'Banter' and as long as it is kept free of profanity or insult then a light moderation touch is in my view all that is necessary. If we have lost some older contributors because they have taken offence then one has to ask whether this was inevitable and what could have been done to prevent it, given that this is one of the freindliest forums on the net that I have come across.

ps. The 30 day banter deletion idea seems a good un.
Rich
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

If the dates were right I would volunteer to do a "roast" I do have some form in this department, and DC (East Coast correspondent!) will remember his handing over a whole pig (A bigun.) that he had picked up from a butcher on the Denge Peninsular for me in a pub car park just south of Farnham covered in a tarpaulin it lookeed like a body I understood some nosey parker called the Police but we are both long gone by the time the Old Bill had made the two miles from Farnham at lunch time!
I see the beach at East Head or maybe Pagham?
Attachments
DAvid Child Roasting Pig vc.jpg
(213.85 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Simples.
Pat

Post by Pat »

You have to remember that life moves on for everyone and we don't all have the time to browse and post as we'd like. There's still many that read and enjoy without posting and old sailors never die, they just bear away.

For me, one of the great things about the cvrda forum is being able to put faces to most of the names. To meet and talk to the names gives their postings a background and credence and a fuller view.

I can comprehend that the east-south rivalry is actually banter between friends but those who haven't met and chatted with the two Davids probably wouldn't. My own roots are from Brightlingsea but I live in the south and would find it awkward if I had to really take sides, and I don't think anyone should need to feel they are in that position because of a bit of forum banter.

Let's keep it light and friendly and remember we don't know everyone who we're talking to. But please, turn up in person at events and let's chat face to face - it's much more enjoyable. :)
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
ACB

Post by ACB »

I haven't met anyone yet but I want to! I have promised to come to the Thames SC event - ideally with the Albacore, which came from there, but more probably with a Firefly (for which, unlike the Alb, I already possess a combi trailer.) :)

I suspect I belong in most of classes 1-4. I started dinghy sailing with my father in RNSA 14s, GP14s and Fireflies in Tripoli harbour as a boy in the 1960's. Then I stopped - to be precise I went to boarding school in Colchester and bought a heavy carvel dayboat in West Mersea. This led to a sucession of larger and more seaworthy cruisers and I did not get into a dinghy again until I saw F3000 looking bedraggled in an old boat sale yard and noticed that she was "fore and aft planked" and that the hull was not too bad, which was all the excuse I needed to proclaim that no.1 son had to have her and I would restore her for him. He is now 14 and has been polite enough not to suggest that a Firefly is an unsuitable gift for an eight year old!

The point being that having sailed cruisers all my life I am shockingly bad at sailing - my approach for thirty years and more has been to settle the old girl on course, put the kettle on and sit back. What little I know of dinghy sailing is what my father taught me 47 years ago and he had learned in his own B class canoe, (which incidentally was the one that is pictured in the pocket history on the UK IC website) and crewing in Raters and I14s in the 1920's.

What this boils down to is "time I got better at sailing" and naturally cvrda type boats are where I would look. But I wish I had discovered the cvrda sooner as I made an awful lot of mistakes with F3000.

I have, all my life, harboured a secret wish, born, undoubtedly of reading my uncle's Uffa Fox books when I was eight, to try to sail an IC, but I never will now, being 56 and too stout, so I wasted that opportunity. I get plenty of fun out of sailing something tamer at the back of the fleet espescially if we are not actually last!

So, thank you all very much for being so helpful. :D
Last edited by ACB on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
JimC

Post by JimC »

ACB wrote:I have, all my life, harboured a secret wish, born, undoubtedly of reading my uncles's Uffa Fox books when I was eight, to try to sail an IC, but I never will now, being 56 and too stout, so I wasted that opportunity.
Nonsense... That's well within the typical age range of the Canoe fleet... I was 50 something before I got one, so were quite a few others... And they do carry a bit of weight: if the Firefly doesn't sink a Canoe won't, so unless you are *very* substantial it shouldn't be a problem. There are canoe sailors nearer 20 stone than 10... None of the people who've jumped on my Canoe in a nice F2 or so has ever failed to have a good sail round the reservoir, its just that F5 and waves is a lot more challenging. But if you're ever in NE Surrey on a sunny Summer Sunday afternoon there's no reason at all why you shouldn't jump on my boat and fulfil that ambition...
bert

Post by bert »

Hi

Ruperts right in that I found the CVRDA via the Y & Y but through the classes section & I had stated in the past that I wouldn’t buy anything made of wood again ever!( after spending to much time scraping & varnishing), So obviously I went and brought the canoe because it was varnished & not painted, (Common form of madness apparently) & I am properly cat 5.

As to weather you should worry about the CVRDA going in the wrong direction – well I think that there is enough sailing forums to find the style to suit your / their needs, besides I always thought that the CVRDA was about the classic boats & classic owners / sailors, that’s why I came here.

I brought the canoe to sail in CVRDA events as a first choice & IC events as a second choice & because the forum was my point of contact it was the medium that I judged the CVRDA by, Decidable favourable I think!.
The impression that I got was of a friendly group of people who were not backward in answering questions & would lend a helpful hand willingly.

BTW Mr ACB I am also a member of the DYC & usually flounder around the back of the fleet in my 300 No 443 so come over & say hello & I could arrange that canoe ride for you if you like?
roger

Post by roger »

Andrew I am knocking 50 and had my first canoe ride last year on stu`s boat. I am not to stout but am a short ass. The canoe which was for sale was a fantastic ride and I only went in once to windward. The only hard bit is turning round but i got the hang of that in the end.

Thanks everyone for the feedback I am happy that we are still regarded as welcoming and look forward to seeing you all at various events throughout the year.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
ACB

Post by ACB »

Just to record, a propos the first page, that Aquarius now holds two F4000 tickets from Waldringfield.

And thanks to everyone for the advice on ICs. I will have a go...

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The winning of the new Firefly is an interesting thing. The more you sail your current boat, the more likely you are to win a boat that raises the possibility that you will never sail the old boat again. So you are forcing the boat you currently have to race for the honour of becoming obsolete...
Not in the case of any cvrda members, of course, who might just keep the new one to use in the winter!
Rupert