Pegasus info

share hints, tips and experiences
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

I intend to visit England during the week of Nov 21 to the 26.
What are the chances of one of you kind gentlemen allowing me to take a bunch of measurements off a pegasus.
I have managed to pursuade my wife that it will not be an exercise in futility to build a pegasus and that the wood for it has been sitting in the garage for two years now.It would be a shame to see the wood go to waste.
I will be visiting Newent in Gloucestershire, so based on the posts on this web site probabaly somebody in the Brizzle area would be closest. What about it? any volunteers?
Brian Evans.
markj

Post by markj »

Brian
UI am down neer Plymouth but you are welcome to come and measure either of the composite boats that I have.
Regards
Mark
david r

Post by david r »

Brian
My Pegasus 194 is at Bowmoor SC, Glos just north of Swindon - see http://www.bowmoor.co.uk
I would be pleased to meet you there & take you for a sail if you had the time
David Rollinson
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Thankyou David.
I will Contact you later in the year when the trip gets closer.
Is your boat a Rebore, or is it one made by the other manufacturer.
Brian Evans.
david r

Post by david r »

Brian - it is a REBORE - seems to sail OK !
David
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Too right it does! In theory the ToY should be faster, but I can see it myself - they are amazing boats!
Rupert
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Yes Rupert there is nothing wrong with the Rebore boats as far as their performance goes In fact I used to own one, number 128. It was last owned by mr Peter White of Tibberton Glos.,The last time I saw the boat. Peter had the decks off the boat and was trying to figure out how, to replace the softwood rebore glassed into the inwhale, which had gone rotten. However I have lost contact with Peter these days.
Some time in the late 1960s, the then president of the Pegasus class association, (I believe his name was Hugh Oneil but I am not sure.)persuaded another manufacturer to produce the Pegasus. I saw at least one boat that they had produced.That boat looked closer to the wooden boats with a finer bow than the Rebore boats.
hayes

Post by hayes »

Dear Brian,

You're quite right, the Association asked a firm in Grimsby called Fosrite to produce an all glassfibre Pegasus. They made about 20, the sail numbers are patchy but seem to run from 215 - 235. Some were finished by Billy Bacon in Grimsby - a great friend of Michael MacNamara who incidently raced them in the late 60's. I only know of one left as they had a nasty habit of the hull and deck moulding parting company along the gunwale!

If you wish to take measurements off an original all wood Pegasus you are more than welcome to measure my boat No 81, in Taunton, Somerset.

Cheers

Andy
Keeper of Pegasus records
Pegasus 1
Pegasus 81
Merlin 3474
Gibsea 282
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Thanks Andy,
I may look you up when I am in country.
Brian.