Frensham Frolics

Post your requirements here
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Here's the detail on Frensham. Our CVRDA weekend, our third, will be on 16th/17th July, and we will have one race on Saturday (14.35ish) and three on Sunday. Anyone is welcome to sail in the morning - we just ask that you keep clear of the Cadets, who will be having race practice then.

We will have an evening meal on the Saturday for all concerned, and Charles asks that you let him know by Saturday lunchtime if you are staying for the evening meal.

The fee will be £10.00 per boat, and this will include dinner for two. Others will be welcome, but will pay £5.00 per head. The bar will be open.

There will be an unofficial concours during the weekend, with prizes !

Charles will be OOD for the weekend, and available for anyone who wants him ! Workshop availability for those little, niggling, faults will be available.

Berths for all will be allocated near the water. See Charles on arrival.

Accommodation locally is plentiful - checkout the club website, http://www.sailfrensham.org.uk for details.

Look forward to seeing you all and having a fab weekend. Any questions, give me a call, on 01252 311982.

Best regards

Nick
chris

Post by chris »

Chris and lois will be there, Merlin 6
Lyn and john, merlin 507 will be there.
So 4 for meal anD i think we'll be camping.
CU
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Nick,
Unfortunately I can only make the Sunday but will be there with the Hornet.
Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Hello Nick,
Looking forward to it. I'm up for both days but Dad is away so wo'nt be coming this year, although he'd love to have done.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Pat and Sandy arriving saturday, Half Cut and camper van at the ready so 2 more for dinner.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Looks like were going to have a great weekend. But I need a definitive statement on Larks. Do Larks qualify ? Owner of an early Lark says they do, but my records seem to eqivocate on when Larks were designed. I know there was a Lark at Shearwater, but I don't know if it raced offically.

I don't want to turn anyone down, but I need a definitive statement. So, help please.

Regards

Nick
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Nick,
What time is first race on sunday please.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Nick-good to see you this weekend. It looks like our trip to Kent will be on, so I'm afraid we won't be seeing you this weekend.
I had it on good authority (and I wish I could remember who!) following your first event when the subject first came up that the Lark was first built in 66, but had been designed in 65. Other sources say it was 66. My feeling, and that of others when it has been discussed, is that it would be a bigger sin to exclude a qualifying boat than to include a non qualifying one, especially when there are people wanting to join in with the spirit of the event. After all, if the Lark had faded into obscurity in 1968 or something, we would have no trouble about letting them join!
The downloadable handicaps are on the website. General feeling about things on the chat room appears to have been to give "as original" boats (cotton sails, wood masts, old style fitting etc) a bigger handicap boost than we have been, so that they don't have to be pushed as hard by the helms to win. Old hulls with new rigs can generally we sailed closer to their full potential, as I'm sure you have noticed!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

agree with Rupert.

considered that Lark was borderline....but happy to always allow one to sail if they are willing to race within the spirit of the rules of the cvrda.

Again, as rupert says.....current thinking by cvrda handicap committee is to try and encourage the more original and older boats by considering their handicap generously.

The figures are on the website....but as always with py numbers....they are recommendations and should be used as a basis for establishing numbers for your particular conditions. Faster sea-boats for instance might well be given a little lift, but any boat especially well suited to lake would not have PY no adjusted....unless down?

sure you are familiar with the idea.....just to stress that they are a guide and the aim is to provide 'fun' and 'close' racing for all!!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh....and.....sorry .....but I won't be able to make it this year.

Simone and I were hoping that we might be able to come as its right next door to her parents....providing easy baby care.

But as it happens we realised that it clashes with our local village Regatta and Bike Show....which we can't really miss....so sorry.....and have fun!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Hi Nick,

I'm afraid that Lizzy, Ellie & I will not be able to attend this year. It also clashes (as it does for ed) wiyh our local festival. The difference however is extreme, our local regatta is the best free (£5 compolsery donation on the gate ?) festival in the country - 4 stages, fair ground, several beer tents, concession stalls, loads of drunk fools, funny smelling herbal cigarettes..........

I'm sure the Calstock regatta is much frienlier than the ashton court festival, but the fact still remains, this year, as last, we will not be able to make it.

O yea, a 3 month old baby makes a good excuse too !! :D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
chris

Post by chris »

I see that every one is ignoring your question about the larks, Nic.
I don't claim to know about these things but since no one has chipped in here goes....

I let a lark race in a cvrda event a few years ago and got one comment from someone collating the race results... " whats that lark doing racing?"
I hadn't even thought about it but afterwards found out that larks were designed by 1965 but none built or the association started after '65. (I stand to be corrected if this is not the case - dunno really in other words)

My thought is that we should include rather than exclude especially when it is so borderline. At the end of the day since you are organising the frensham event I say that whatever you decide is the right decision.

What does anyone else think?
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Good. That all sounds fine, We'll include early Larks. On another point. For those of you who were going to camp at Symonstone Farm - it's closed, due to the proprietor being ill. I'm looking for alternatives, but either way don't worry. I have arranged for sites to be available on the rolling acres of Clibborn Towers. If you need a pitch, or directions, give me a call. 01252 311982, or nick-carol@alderwey.freeserve.co.uk. It's only 10 minutes away, and full facilities are available.

Nick Clibborn
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

.........Oh, another small point. Jonathan Reubin, who sailed the beautiful open National 12 last year, needs a crew. We can sort him out, but if anyone has a spare bod doing nothing, who wants to crew an interesting Merlin, give me a bell on 01252 311982, and I'll pass it on to Jonathan.

All the best.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

Roger

First race on Sunday will be 10.30 (ish). Depends how we all feel after Charles's dinner the night before. We'll be finished - bar prizes etc - by 4.45.

Regards

Nick

Nick