Singing, Sailing & Reminisences

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Ed
Site Admin

Singing, Sailing & Reminisences

Post by Ed »

Of course, there are many many reasons why I (or I guess we) love our old boats.

I would admit to a certain part of that love being that awful sentimental romanticism around the 'boats' of our youth.

I adore sailing J3 and one of the reasons for that is the reminders of sailing J4 with my father as a small child at RTYC - Hamble, although god knows why I liked it since sailing at that age consisted for me of simply sitting in the bilges trying to avoid being stepped on by crew's big feet. Every now and again things would settle down enough for me to be allowed to lift my head above the gunwhales and see where we were.

Later, I remember sailing J4 in Greece, where progress was often sedate enough for me to be allowed to sit on the foredeck, whilst my father and friends sang lewd songs on long runs home, whilst getting extremely inebriated.

For me, as a child, sailing was normally accompanied with lots of singing, often well-oiled singing at that.

I am still word-perfect in quite a few Tom Lehrer songs.....and I often still sing on the runs, for the amusement of kids if I have them on board or more likely these days, for myself, when perched on the end of the IC seat. But, from the looks I get, I would suspect that not many people do still sing whilst sailing. But then, who knows - a fat middle-aged old fart hanging off the end of seat 2m outside the gunwhales is likely to get a few looks without singing about 'poisoning pigeons in the park' anyway.

Anyway, I recently heard Tom Lehrer on the radio, which reminded me of my father.....and in turn to his favourite and precious '78', that was taken out once a year to play over xmas. I wondered what happened to it.....whether it still existed in any form....and with the help of Google - found it:

The Great Crepitation Contest:

http://randsesotericotr.podbean.com/mf/ ... ontest.mp3

I almost followed through in delight....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Re: Singing, Sailing & Reminisences

Post by Garry R »

Excellent!! Sailing, singing and crepitation - at least there is wind involved in all three so fits perfectly on this site!!! Being on the vaguely musical theme (indeed is Ed's singing vaguely musical?) as regards what I would like to have played at my funeral when it inevitably happens, I'd like the curtains to go round the box to "Sailing by" as it is often the last thing I hear when I am falling asleep to Radio 4 or as we should remember it more correctly - the Home Service!! Great way to end the day.

Perhaps we should have a musical evening at the Nationals at Roadford - solos and singalongs - anyone up for it?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

AND bring back the Radio 4 theme in the mornings what idiot cancelled that one of Blairs Babes no doubt!
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

Ed,

If its any consolation Angie sings when we are sailing. Normally a variety of clips from songs all strung together in a sort of jive bunny type of way. :shock:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Garry R said:-
what I would like to have played at my funeral when it inevitably happens, I'd like the curtains to go round the box to "Sailing by" as it is often the last thing
This might work better with a radio tucked inside to keep you company. Also a good way of keeping the moles away once you been tucked up.

And a suitable epitaph??
Darkness outside. Inside, the radio's prayer —
Rockall. Malin. Dogger. Finisterre.
... from "Prayer" by Carol Anne Duffy.

Being of course a good Scotsman you might know of a late artist and poet Ian Hamilton Finlay. He is known it seems for his "Concrete poetry" laid down in a public Garden near Edinburgh known as "Little Sparta."
“The Late Night Shipping Forecast is a kind of High Church Weather Service for radio listeners.” (Ian Hamilton Finlay)
Little%20Sparta,%20Scotland.jpg
(65.14 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
http://www.thinkingardens.co.uk/Little% ... Ambra.html

...Looks like a nice place to "sail on by."
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Back in days of yore (isn't that one of the channel markers somewhere up on that wretched east coast) - if I had a good race and took the win, I used to sing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" - between the finishing line and the shore (the singing that is, not the blowing of bubbles)
Have no idea what it all started... but it did and with any luck, it will happen again!

Be warned!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

DH said:-
somewhere up on that wretched east coast) - if I had a good race and took the win, I used to sing "I'm forever blowing bubbles"
Clearly marks you out as a West Ham man David, I wouldn't try winning any races up in Newcastle for the forseable future!

West Ham, thats up in the kingdom of Essex in'it??

...must be an East Coast man! :lol: :lol:
Michael Brigg
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

when we were kids sailing out of Lyme in Club mirrores, £100 fireballs, parents 505's, 'borrowed' toppers etc. we always sang. Usually at the top of our voices the latest chart hit ! I would name some but I am too embarressed to admit to singing them.

We always used to get a few funny looks at the south mark from the 'older' sailors.

One time I did not sing however was sailing ( i was crew) in through the harbour entrance in Lyme, in a fireball, at high tide on a 3 sail reach with me on the wire :twisted: We looked SO cool, but boy o boy did the harbour master get cross ! :mrgreen:

I seldom sing now when sailing, I don't know why...but from now on I will; especially when I am at the end of my plank :?
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
davidh

Post by davidh »

Now then Michael.

THis is the Banter section of the website and therefore you are allowed a certain lattitude (is that up the way or across the way?) BUT...referring to someone as being from the East Coast is a classic casus belli (see, even though I was brunged up in a state school I can still manage to use some of them fancy terms).

So no - I am neither a West Ham Man, nor an expat from Essex!

How do I know that.

Well, a desire to win races would be a good start - rather than complaining to the rest of teh world just how robbed I wuz when I came in secund!

If you don't retract the scurilious allegation soon, it will be Roger the Commode crewing for you (complete with his bees) and that - as we all know - will be the end of your boat!
(oh no...if the 505 turns up at Roadford, Roger has asked for a go and in a weak moment I agreed.)

Brooksey - see you in a fortnights time at Torquay........

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It was my good luck to go to a school where sailing was considered a sport, being no bloody good at any ball games, unable to run or jum fast or far or even sing I found refuge in sailing, bird watching and the CCF which gave my my three constant loves, Sailing, wildlife and the Territorial Army. As a result, I can sew on buttons, shine shoes, sail and mend boats, identify most birds and mammals and draw them too.
Simples.
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

o well, i tried to bring it back on topic..................see you in another couple of months............

:cry:
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
davidh

Post by davidh »

Stu,

I'd give up any hope of that! Did you go to one of them posh skools two?

If you did - then you would know that the motto of the Banter section is
"abandon hope all ye who enter here"

About the only sure thing is that the string will be on any subject OTHER than the topic!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I didn't find myself singing this weekend at Restronguet (at least not ON the water) but had I, I think it would have been a rendition of "show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I want to go to bed", as I found my 1st attempt at sailing in a Firefly fleet at sea in quite a few years a humbling one...
As it is easy to blame the boat, the tape measure will be coming out this week to get the rig right, but I'm not sure that will get me 24 places up the fleet...Actually starting when the gun went would help more, I feel!
Rupert
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

It's the same the whole world over!
Simples.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ah the 4th row of a 2 row fleet problem - I know it well!

West where??? Nothing to do with us, although East Ham is next to Barking Creek Once home of a great fishing fleet! :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: