Bonito

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

Bonito

Post by Nessa »

I had been feeling down for a while but didn't know why...... :cry: then I realised....I wasn't bidding on anything!

A quick trawl on ebay has brought up this gem, and just down the road too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sailing-dinghy_W0 ... 5|294%3A50

Surely a lost class? So should I or shouldn't I? Vices and virtues or the Bonito please gentlemen!

Lots of photos of similar here:

http://www.pedleyonline.com/photos/phot ... ongest=130
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Re: Bonito

Post by Nigel »

Hi Nessa,

According to Burrett, the blue & white ones were later than the red & white. Burrett gives a PY 0f 104 so not superfast (roughly UK modern PY 1180).

Looking at some US PYs I have a record of they do not do well at all over there. US PY of 122.3 vs. a US Laser PY of 91.1 (My maths equates this to a new money UK PY of 1447.

I understand that they have a huge amount of buoyancy but also a large wetted area. There were some postings on here a year or two ago when another came up on eBay.

At £150, you will always get your money back. My experience on ebay is that photos of the boat actually being sailed roughly doubles its selling price. PM me if you want my selling strategy. :shock:

Nigel (with the waxy 'tached avatar)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Funny, I was talking about them in the pub last night. Massively heavy with loads of wetted surface made them slow and hard to sail, apparantly, from someone who had used them in the 70's. Not a patch on the Laser, apparantly...boo hiss...
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Blimey! It literally is just down the road - it's actually right here in my village! :shock: I am off to have a look this afternoon. Don't know that I hold out much hope of a purchase - she is coming with me! :lol:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

when she gets back from setting fire to girl guides.
bonito is good on a BBQ as well! :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Doctor, what about the dioxins from burning the resin?
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Tish and Pish.

I thought the real hazard with high food chain fish is the Mercury content. Not to mention another nice condition called "Scromboidism"
Michael Brigg
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I rather meant the fects of burning Gee Ah pee on a BBQ?
Scromboisism looks V nasty indeed I shall remain a pink fish eater!
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

We did stroll down and look at this (about 1000m along the road, no more) but I have to say it did not impress with its good looks. Interestingly the seller clearly thought we liked it more than he wanted us to, and promptly removed the £225 buy it now option. He need not have troubled himself; I have bid the starting price, but wouldn't pay any more than that. It is a very ugly boat, but would be useful for a while. It really isn't that heavy, but I think it must be a modified version, because it doesn't look much like the ones in the photos I found. It has a dagger board for a start, then other refinements such as a kicker and cunningham. Still no outhaul though, with the boom threading into the foot of the sail, much like the sail threads over the mast.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Nessa,

the "buy it now" seems to disappear as soon as someone makes a bid.

Burret indicates a daggerboard as standard.

Good luck with it :)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, we won it and strangely I am not wearing my screen as a necklace, which means either she has given up or she has accepted the wisdom of this purchase, since it is intended for her to learn in. If it turns out to be rubbish I shall be in touch with you Nigel regarding your foolproof sales method. You clearly didn't disclose it to the seller of this one!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I used to sail a Bonito back in the 70's at Clacton. Good fun from what I recall although I do accept one can look back .......

Can't remember what it was like against the 4 sail number lasers that were there although I do remember that they were uncomfortable to sail even then! :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well done Nessa :) .

It is good to be able to point to someone who has more strange boats than I do (although I did sell off two of the motorbikes yesterday so I must be reforming).

Are you bringing it to Roadford? I will swap you a go in the Man o'war for a go in it.

Nigel
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

We are hoping to bring Agamemnon to Roadford, but if that fails it will be the Bonito and AN Other. A swap would be most entertaining - I was very tempted by a Man O War not that long ago.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, we took it out last night for a quick blast and apart from coming back minus the bottom half of the dagger board it went quite well bearing in mind we had no sail controls other than the 2:1 mainsheet (I have quite a tired arm today). The leech really does need some kind of control, so I am toying with the idea of fitting an aft sheeting system or a split tail sheet, oh, and a functional kicker might be useful too.

Goodness only knows what happened to the dagger board it is/was made of extremely thin ply - the slot is incredibly narrow - it was there when we left shore and not there when we got back - it sheared off level with where it exits under the boat!

Yet another woodwork project to keep me busy, but how can I get something that must be about 10mm thick to be strong enough?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World