Aged Oppy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

Aged Oppy

Post by Nessa »

Sitting in the garden right now is the holey horror that is Poppy the Oppy. She has engraved in her floor the sail number K1822. Does anyone know how old this makes her?
Last edited by Nessa on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ACB

Re: Aged Oppy

Post by ACB »

When did K become GB? Thirty years ago..ish?

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

No, I think we still had K on our sails when I was 470ing in the 88 trials...but not for the 92 trials. We watched all the YUGs become SLO and CRO as well....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Nessa, is right. In 88 noises were being made about media coverage and the fact that the old sail letters did not match the IOC country codes - very confusing for the public! For the 92 Barcelona games the boats all carried the 3 letter codes as per IOC designation. The rules for everyone to change would have come about after that in the rule book that started 93 I think.

However, Optimist K 1822 has to be very old. The new boats are over 5900. Sail numbers in the mid 2000's were around the mid 1980's so this boat could be around mid 70's or maybe earlier.

It doesn't sound as if she is competitive :) but unless any pre 1995 Opi has a current certificate, they can never be measured and given a certificate as the rules were changed and all the earlier boats were out of class unless they had already been processed. :(

D :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Is this you Nessa?
Attachments
Oppie.jpg
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

So how old is K87 then?

Mind you the hull has no number - just (I think the builders name) "HALL" carved in the mast step.

She is certainly old style - marine ply on stringers, screwed and glued. Mast is alloy - other spars are wood.

Possibly available from the end of this season as my little horror is not so little any more :-(

j./
Last edited by jpa_wfsc on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

We had Oppie no K14 new in 1956.
Simples.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Question for the Oppie experts: has the Optimist sail emblem always been the same? I ask because back in early 70s our Scout Troop had two aged Oppies (nos 83 & 85 I think) with "OP" on the sails.

Like jpa's 87 these were ply on a frame and the buoyancy was polystyrene blocks in the bow and thwart.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Tn France the sil emblem of the old oppies was different;
I was trained on Caravelle and family Vaurien , when aged 4 (that was in 1962) and the first oppies reached France in the mid sixties and i found them un exciting , specially as we were restricted to a backwater and forbidden to sail oppies on the seine (current and big diesel powered barges ) our wooden oppies from Silvant and Besnard (respected wood boatbuilders specialized in canetons , vauriens and the like) had coulored terylène sails , french numbers in the hubdreds and the sail logo was a contorted fish like creature inside a circle (an O for optimist) ....the I insid an O came later , with the early seventies.

Old pictures (elvström book, , Clark Mills obituary in voiles et voiliers) show many different emblems or no emblemat all...and neither Clark Mills nor Axel Damgaard ever recieved any sort of royalty fee for he design...

By the way the early OK had different emblems (separate O and K standing for Knut Olsen) before the current shape became standard