d-one

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
davidh

d-one

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

(and brooksey)

all the hot air that is currently going on re the RS100 and D-One.

Well, I am the 'sap' seen sailing the Devoti boat in many of the pictures (and referred too as the one born in Albion!). This was actually the 3rd Devoti boat sailed - I'd broken the other two already. Whatever El Commodore Roger has about breaking boats - it has rubbed off on me for sure.

Mind you, the one I broke next came through a bit of good old fashioned 'Hornet' mentality. A squall came through with all sorts of wind strengths but mainly huge blatting gusts. Not the time to go for a spinnaker hoist BUT... as they say in Hornet times of old, "Had to be done".

Ignore all the silly inane comments made on various web forums. I've sailed the boat on a number of occasions now (not to mention the Halo - the big Blaze) and others and can say that it is pretty damn good.

I don't think that with all the computer aids that are available these days that 'bad boats' get out onto the market. We may not like them but many (though not all) of the boats are not bad.

Frankly, there is so much sailing available for 'youth' these days it hacks me right off. I'll never make it to a foiling moth..... nor a 29erXX nor many more of the exciting new boats. So a design that brings skiff sailing within reach of older, unfit sailors has to be a big bonus

D
David H
Rupert

Re: d-one

Post by Rupert »

Not sure I'd call it skiff sailing, but I have to agree that the ability for not too agile people to fly a kite singlehanded has got to be good. I think it may be designed for somewhat bulkier people than me, mind!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I think it may be designed for somewhat bulkier people than me, mind!
Got just the thing for you Rupert...
!BV9o61!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVks,BKVLk+d+,!~~_1.jpg
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
And its here on ebay for sale right now!! :D :D

http://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0 ... acat=98955
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

I'll try to post some extra pics for you. Minimal rocker, a huge flat run aft, ultra light - I'm not sure what the full definition of a skiff is but that looks about right for me.

And yes, I reckon you need 75-80 kgs to really get to the start line!

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I think it really looks the business and look forward to trying one, but there seems to be an amazing ammount of self proclaimed experts trying to knock it on thr Y&Y forum.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

If I get the chance I may have one that you could try at Roadford! (worry not, I'm not thinking of trying to enter it in as a 'nearly classic' - even I wouldn't try that!!)

I sailed one when Luca Devoti was in another - he is 110 Kgs! Although there was breeze it was not 'windy' as such - and he didn't seem to be lacking in power, upwind or down.

And yes.... you're right about the ranks of self proclaimed 'experts' that you get elsewhere - something that we are lucky on this forum to have avoided in the main.

But if not Roadford then I am sure that you will get an early shot at sailing the boat - and I am sure you will enjoy it. That you then return to your 'classic' Finn is great, but at least you will have the ability to say what you think on the basis of having sailed the boat - rather than taking time out from your SATS exams to post yet another juvenille comment, which is the impression many of the other posters leave.

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:nor a 29erXX
That one seems to be being greeted by massive lack of interest in the market place: unless something changes it could be the Unit of the 2000s...

Its interesting that ISAF never seem to have published the conclusions from the trials...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim C,

simple answer to that - there never was any 'trials'!!!!!

(and as Max boyce would say, "I know cos I was there")
What ISAF did hold was an series of days where boats could be demonstrated to give ISAF an idea of "what was out there" - that is a direct quote by the way.

The 14 was there, Cherub, Daemon Cheub, GT 60, 29er, 29erXX and RS 800. Now there would be some less than charitable souls who might say that the bevy of young lycra clad ladies there to sail the boats made more of an impact than the boats themselves....but I couldn't possibly comment on that.

The boats that really caught the eye were the GT60 and the RS800.

Now fast forward into the murkier waters of the ISAF bureaucratic system. Only the backers of the 29erXX put themselves 'in the frame' to go forward for further ISAF deleiberation - which is how come there happened to be a vote between the 29erXX and the 470.

The 29erXX may well be the best 'advanced' youth boat yet put out on a race course but does that make it the right boat for two 'adult' women????? Hmmm, tricky question.

What is about to happen however is that next week I'm back to Garda, reporting on the 49er Worlds AND the 29erXX Gold Cup. Once I have seen that I'll be in a much stronger position to say something 'deep and meaningful' but until then I'll hold my tongue!

Watch this space! (well, not actually this space as the 29erXX is as far from the classic ethos - even for me - than it is possible to get)

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

David if you could get one along to Roadford I would love to have a go, and you could always race in the Goodacre which is running alongside our event, I'm sure they could arrange a suitable PY.
I can't believe the ammount of purile postings which are going on on the Y&Y D-one thread, some just plain rude and some positively racist from people who honestly believe they are speaking for British dinghy sailing.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brookesy wrote:I would love to have a go
Me too :D .

Swap it for a go in a Man o'war

Nigel
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

One way or another we'll get you a shot, you too Nigel.

I'm touched that no one had made any comments about this not being the forum for discussions on new boats - which is surely isn't BUT... to me the D-One and other new boats are just part of the step change that I see taking place in dinghy sailing. My guess is that the pace of change will increase over the next 5 years (let alone the next decade) and we will seem some household names disappearing.

But back to the value of the forum. Even when there is a real tang of dissent, we still remain polite and impersonal. Brooksey has it spot on - on some forums the level of debate is one step removed from the (primary) school playground.

D

This may not be 'beware the Ides of March' but is not far from it either!!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

David as far as I am concerned if you want to talk modern boats here thats fine(it is in the banter section where almost anything goes).
I am please to see I am not the only one who can break boats. Can I have a go at Roadford as well please. (sail her not break her) :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Can my go be before Roger's just in case..... :D
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

Whatever you have that causes you to be the 'Grim Reaper' when it comes to boats, well, you passed it on to me! I broke the 505 at Torquay, then when I went to sail the D-One, I broke 3 boats in 3 days.

Now this is from a person who in the past was not known for their 'kiss of death' so it has to be something that I got from you at Whitefriars!!!

By the time you all get to have a go I am sure everything will be all sorted! Actually, the D-One's that I sailed WERE sorted - at least until I got my hands on them.

BUT...back to the CVRDA and our 'ethos'......for most of us, by the time we bought our Hornets, GPs, Merlins or So Slows etc, people had all been there and done that and had sorted out all the 101 teething problems. Of course, for the sailor of today buying in to a 'new' class, he has no such luck. No wonder at the Endeavour Trophy a few years back they had lots of 'technical hitches' - for this was putting the boats through what was, in effect, a weekend of top class 'field trials'.

It is interesting that even in the riskier of the development classes, that the testing out on the race course can still be a painful and expensive experience. I was up at weston when a new Cherub all but self destructed! Note to slef builders....tissue and balsa wood may have made fine flying models in the 1960s but they are just not man enough for twin wiring!!

BUT yes, you can indeed have a go (though we'll leave Roger till last, just in case) and betterer still.... I'll even be taking a boat up to the East Coast at some point...just as soon as I get a passport and an innoculation against Swine Flu.

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

David said:
Whatever you have that causes you to be the 'Grim Reaper' when it comes to boats, well, you passed it on to me! I broke the 505 at Torquay,
!BWTnGr!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLlt51ZBKW1BB!Qww~~_1.jpg
(26.43 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
I see you've got it onto ebay already David!! :twisted: :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/International-505 ... 7C294%3A50
Michael Brigg