Enterprise - again!!

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Enterprise - again!!

Post by Garry R »

Does anyone have any idea where you can obtain plans for an old Enterprise. There are a couple of bits which I would like clarification on but I can see nowhere to get plans.
Nessa

Re: Enterprise - again!!

Post by Nessa »

Garry, old of my best sailing chums is an ex Commodore of the Ent Class. He is away at the moment at the Ent nats, but I am sure he will be able to help when he is back.

nessa
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hi Gary,

I suggest you ring Bob Southworth the class sec on 02380 456 977. I am sure he will be able to help you buy a set of plans.

Cheers
D
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

did you see the pics i took.

I can always make a pattern of those support brackets

D
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

A quick question.

I was looking at the wooden mast for the enterbarge last night and realised that the mast fitting at the hounds is not the original though God knows how long the one that is fitted has been there and used. Basically the fitting is not snug to the mast at the front and has a bolt through the hounds which is all that holds it on. It is stainless but the screw holes for the additional fixing have not been used. I can see where the original screw holes have been. I wonder if anyone would have the original type of fitting as I am not over keen on the current fitting being able to rotate around the hound bolt and possibly gouge into the mast. The mast is in good nick so want to keep it. I'll try to get a photo up here.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

DavidH - thanks for the pictures - I did get them. The one difference between what I had on the boat and the photos is that the photos show a support on the bottom of the hull as well as on the centreboard case. As they are made of ply then I will have no problem knocking something up (once I find the rather delaminating template which has been left in that ever so safe place for the future!! Of course I can cut out a card template for where it goes over the floor boards. Thanks again
JimC

Post by JimC »

Garry R wrote:I am not over keen on the current fitting being able to rotate around the hound bolt and possibly gouge into the mast.
As a bolt through the mast is a superior fastening method to anything involving screws, and its always best not to add new holes in the spar anyway, wouldn't you be better off packing the fitting out so it can't rotate?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Lucky you both our Enterprises (1957 & 1959) as delivered from Moores had a Brass bent plate as a hounds fitting and just round headed screws 6 no 3/4" no 8 roundheads - Brass I can see them now! Into Spruce!
We shaved a few mmm off the mast at the hounds and glued in some Ash/Oak and smoothed it down again refitted it using bronze screws and a single 3/16" SS threaded rod (long bolts were not easy to come by then.) right through bedded on Araldite.

Suggest that you can pack under your loose fitting with a suitable hardwood anything hard will do though doubltless the pedants will be more precise! Use araldite or similar epoxy to fill the old screw holes and to fill the new pilot holes before using the screws too. Araldite in the bolt hole too will help prevent it compressing the very soft spruce.
Attachments
Scan for GR E-Barge Hound - Shroud-Mast.jpg
(86.86 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Thanks for the suggestions. The illustration is what I think must have been on there from the number of holes which have been filled in at the hounds. Looks about right!!Yet another in the lengthening line of jobs ..... but I have to finish it now as I have the G4 and the paint and primer!!!!
chris

Post by chris »

I think I have a brass fitting like the one in the drawing you can have.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Further question. The Ent has a number of screws which have obviously corroded and are blowing off the filler and overlying paint. I don't really want to remove these screws if possible so what's the best way to treat this condition. I had thought of picking out the filler and refilling with epoxy and fibres but is there a better filler or a totally diferent way. Is it worth picking it out and giving a little dob of primer before filling - not had to do this before as am more used to copper rivets!!
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As long as you've got all the old stuff out the brst GP Glass Filler I have used for paint finishes is ISOPON - available in very small up to commercial quantities fine enough for fairing stiff enough for bigger holes. From Halfords or similar.
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

A very quick one - does anyone have an Enterprise and if so could you measure the length of the floor boards for me. There is a long and short on each side. I also need to know the distance from the transom the short one starts - I can see where the long one begins. I stupidly forgot to take the length measurements before I cut the hull panels out to replace the rot!! Thanks if you can help
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Garry, I have asked a good friend who is a class measurer and Ent owner to come in and comment on the threads, but if he doesn't come in I will email him and see what he says.

Nessa :)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
mcyotty

Post by mcyotty »

Hi Gary
Ovington built Ent in Dollar gives the following measurements (in inches as I would imagine your elderly boat would have been so built)
Inside transom to start of short batten - 33" length of batten - 57"
" " " " " long batten - 8"
When I say inside transom, these measurements are in fact taken from the 'bung hole frame' if you know what I mean. Batten spacing comes in at 5" centre to centre. Hope this helps?
Bob