Dinghy Magazine

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Brookesy

Dinghy Magazine

Post by Brookesy »

Davidh, perhaps you can help but as a subscriber, myself and it seems like a few others judging from their forum have not received copies for the last two months. The phones do not seem to be manned and msgs are not being answered.
Have they gone under?
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
jpa_wfsc

Re: Dinghy Magazine

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Last one I got was August... 'shorty wetsuit review' and 'dinghy sailors do coasteering' being the headline. Fortunately Dave's review of 49'er action also features.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Latest one arrived today - Southampton Boat Show preview
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Yes, mine has now arrived too.
GBR74 ex custodian of
davidh

Post by davidh »

Brooksey,

Hope you enjoy it - did you like the D-One report?

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

D-one - great write up!

And the 49'er page turn is inspired - was that planned - almost like rounding a leward mark and now we have a long hard upwind leg to sail.

Somehow, the content of DSM has improved (quality of writing) while the quality of presentation has got worse - much less white space - in my opinion.

Good work, D. Shame the D-one is about £9950 outside my present budget! Will they raffle off the one with the blue deck at the boat show? Or will the class be 'lost' in short order and sailing with us so that I can beg for a borrow of one?

j./
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Funny, got Y&Y though the post yesterday - also a D1 writeup.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

ah... the answer to that is simple! A media event was held out on Lake Garda to which the great unwashed (sailing journalists) were invited. Have you also checked out the Sailing Anarchy report- they were there too.

For your info, in the SA write up, there is mention of a 'nuclear speed run' that ended up with a broken boat.

I'm guilty as charged. The short version of the story goes something like......

Get photograher/Rib/Sunshine and a top class sailor all togther (not me I hasten to add - a genuine medal winning Laser sailor) - get some great footage. Then, back in the hotel room I realise the BIG mistake - the guy is not wearing a life jacket. Bummer to the max.

Then, the next day, I'm out sailing when a thunderstorm breaks out over the mountains to the west of Garda and it is this that turns into the Ponale, a rare wind that blows crosswise over the lake. With the steepness of the cliffs, the wind tumbles downwards in what the Americans would call a 'williwaw'. Garda is by now a mass of capsized boats and the wind is getting harder by the minute BUT the sun is still shining on the lake and I have the all important ingredient - a photo boat, in attendance.

I tried to call across to the support Rib "is this boat insured?" but either the wind noise or else the subject got lost in translation - being English I took silence as consent, bore away and hoisted the kite. When the photoboat finally caught up with me I was mid lake already and in the worst of the squall. Despite some alarming mast bend the boat was fine. I was at the back doing the mental calculation of how long I got before I ended up on the Brenner - Verona Autostrada, either in the boat or in an Ambulance! In the end an extra big gust hit the boat, I was a tad slow to bear away, came of the face of a wave and wiped out big time.

Ah well, it's a tough life doing this writing lark....... think I might find shearwater a tad easier!

D
David H
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Did the photo boat get any shots of this? It would be great for their banter wipeout shoot (or back in the bar...?) but by next edition it wont be topical any more, will it! Ah - also not good publicity for the boat either.

However, we would like to see them!
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I think the boat is great and intend putting my name down to try one, but I would probably not be able to afford one even if I sold both the FD's and the Finn.
GBR74 ex custodian of