Firecrest 15 - Which Class?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
simon-t

Firecrest 15 - Which Class?

Post by simon-t »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. My newly restored Firecrest 15 will be back on the water at the end of the month. I am thinking of bringing the boat to Roadford and I was wondering which class she might fit into.

The Firecrest went into production in 1950. Mine is hull number 12 from 1951. It was designed by Robert N. Stone who also came up with the sucessful Sprite. I know there is still an active Sprite class fleet on the Blackwater in Essex, but Firecrest are thin on the ground. I am only aware of four that survive. I would love to get them all out on the water together - we'll see. (Two of these are for sale if anybody is interested including #42 as pictured below).

I have included links which show Firecrest 15s sailing, and the specs pages from the original sales brochure. My boat will have a new wooden mast from Collars and will be rigged with the original cotton sails which are in remarkably good nick for their age.

So any help with class eligibility and probable handicap would really be appreciated. I would sail with one crewmember.

Regards,

Simon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2648/368 ... b9cd_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/368 ... 06c4_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/368 ... 48c2_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/368 ... 941c_b.jpg
Garry R

Re: Firecrest 15 - Which Class?

Post by Garry R »

Without doubt the Vintage wing - absolutely the type of boat we should encourage so that will be at least 3 ribbed boats. No idea of handical - that's where the dark art of the handicap committee comes in. Look forward to meeting you.
chris

Post by chris »

That's great! If we can get a couple more sailing with cotton sails I will expand the Shearwater Cotton Sail Trophy to include Roadford too. So anyone else with some cottons bring them along.
Look forward to meet you and the boat
Chris
jon711

Post by jon711 »

What a lovely looking boat wel done on it's condition!!
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The boats pictured are not mine. Number 20 belongs to a friend. It was sailing this boat a couple of years ago that prompted me to hunt down and restore my own Firecrest. I'll try to tempt him down to Roadford as well.

Number 42 was listed for sale on e-bay a few weeks ago. It didn't sell but I am in touch with the owner if anybody is keen.

I'll post some up to date pictures of my boat when I visit the workshop on Friday.

Best,

Simon.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I have all the original correspondence files for the Firecrest which I rescued from the boatyard when it was being sold off. After It was Rowhedge Ironworks the yard became Brown's. Sadly like a lot of other useful places it is now houses.

The files are in store, but pvt me and I will see what I can find out for you If you wish.

Cheers
David
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I saw this firecrest (No 42) on e-bay and have in fact been keeping a file on "interesting" dinghies so I have all the pics and the history.

The current owner discovers that 42 was displayed in the "Festival of Britain" exhibition and has been carefully stored and cared for since.

I had an interest in this event as my Grandfather was a chief engineer in the construction of "Skylon," built where the millenium wheel is now and I have @10mins of unique coulor 8mm cine film that he took while going up in a construction lift.

I dont know how copyright applies, but if it helps the CVRDA aquire this attractive and interesting boat, here she is for anyone who would like to get to know her.
6179_12.jpg
(14.24 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
Michael Brigg
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

I have been in touch with the owner of Firecrest #42 as pictured.

He has passed on his mobile number if anybody is interested. The boat was on e-bay for 1,500 pounds but didn't sell. He has told me he is open to offers.

I have built a Firecrest 15 website with the intention of getting owners together on the water. It's a work in progress but if you fancy a look you'll find it here: http://firecrest15.webeden.co.uk/

Simon.
ALIBONE

Post by ALIBONE »

Hi the firecrest i am intrested to buy is gunter rig and has had a bowsprit added and probaly the mast moved forward.This does not present a problem but will be diffulcult to rate.Do you think £2750 is to much to pay even though this boats has been rebuilt to a high standard.Only rigging to be redone.Any advice would be most welcome. :D
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

[quote][Do you think £2750 is to much to pay even though this boats has been rebuilt to a high standard./quote]

Hmmm :?

First of all Hi and welcolme.

I spent almost twice this sum on a boat that I didn't want to lose because 1.) I havent the wood skils myself. 2) I had it done by a boatyard and 3.) I hadn't the time.

I love sailing the boat now and I am confident it has many more years of quality hard sailing in it. Was it worth it? Yes I am still enjoying my boat although my other half likes to remind me how much it has cost me per race :evil: this season.

The Boat might sell for about 1/10th of what I have paid, but will still be worth the same amount in 10 years (or possibly more) if I look after her. I can now sail in a boat that doesn't embarass my children and which they might sail with me. That is priceless.

So even if the boat is expensive, if it is in good condition, that is far less than you would spend renovating a cheaper boat in poor condition, and you can sail it now.

A boat is always worth what you are prepared to pay for it. You are buying the pleasure of ownership, not the boat.

BTW, I think the Firecrest is superb, with or without a bowsprit and is the kind of boat the CVRDA was concieved for.
Michael Brigg
ALIBONE

Post by ALIBONE »

Thanks Michael,
You have certainly put this into perspective for me,I think you have seen this boat in Yorkshire and i hope myself to visit shortly,as soon as my arm has mended .
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I liked that post, too. Puts boat ownership in a slightly fifferent light.
Rupert
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

Hi all,

My Firecrest renovation is STILL NOT FINISHED and I can't even bear to tell you how much money I have spent on having her professionally restored. I am sure eventual ownership and sailing will be a joy, but it has been and continues to be a painful process.

I have seen pictures of the boat in Yorkshire and have had a couple of e-mail chats with the owner. The hull looks to be in good condition. The Firecrest was available with a gunter rig as an option from the original builder. I'm not sure how the addition of a bowsprit and moving the mast forward would affect her handling, but the more on the water the better.

Hopefully mine is now just a couple of weeks away. In fact just in time for me to return to the Gulf for the winter and not have a chance to sail her until April.

Perfect timing from my very imperfect boatbuilder!

Simon.
ALIBONE

Post by ALIBONE »

Glad to hear that the end of the tunnel is near .Ive worked in Abu Dhabi for the last two years and spent many a weekend visiting the racing Dhows but as i was muted to Nigeria i decided to retire.I hope we can all get on the water next year.
simon-t

Post by simon-t »

Dear all...

Latest pictures of the rebuild attached. Shouldn't be long now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26634968@N05/4031994881/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26634968@N05/4031993519/

Happy sailing,

Simon.