Beehives buzzes etc.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
roger

Beehives buzzes etc.

Post by roger »

Quote Pat said.

Can't find the "Beehive" in the Dinghy Database, Roger - is it any relation to the Buzz
It would make a nice sail logo though.

Top bar hives would not be a very interesting sail logo but are a new angle on the Kenyan log hive. supposedly more bee friendly than modern commercial methods.

http://www.biobees.com
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Re: Beehives buzzes etc.

Post by Garry R »

Very interesting Roger. The only thing I would worry about would be the bees building brace comb between the natural comb and the sides of the hive. The frames are not frames as such, hence not wired with foundation as in traditional national frames with an all round frame. Things that can add to this are vibration so they say don't site under trees etc where roots can move the hive slightly and leads to the bees gumming everything up. If I had known you were into this I could have let you have a couple of National hives buckshee at Roadford. Still time though - I have wooden and polystyrene hives which I found very good. It's a hobby I am going to return to once retired if I can get a good site and of course if there are any bees left in the UK!!! BUT I won't return to having 12 hives as I once did - nightmare of work although easier if not working for HMG as a scientist. Next year I'm planning to go.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As long as you "beehive" Garry!
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

Garry I have seen these in action and the cross combing and brace comb can be a problem but if set up properly seems to work. Thanks for the offer of hives but I have a couple of commercials I was given but being a bit of a hippy at heart I am hoping to give the "barefoot" system a go.

I will let you know how things go.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353