Some thing you've never thought about..

General chat about boats
jon711

Some thing you've never thought about..

Post by jon711 »

What would be the best classic boat to teach a new girlfriend to sail in??

I have no maintenance area (except the dinghy park)
She know's diddly squat about sailing
I am (slightly) proficient at sailing

I do not want to end up with a Pico, Xenon etc..

Any ideas??

Jon

Discuss..(And I'm sure you will!!)
Rupert

Re: Some thing you've never thought about..

Post by Rupert »

OK, I'll start with the obvious...If both fairly small, the Mirror would be great. If you want something with a bit more classic rarity, swap the Mirror for a Mk1 Gull, a Heron, an 11+, an Embassy or whatever other uncommon 1950's, 60's or early 70's boat is lurking at the back of the dinghy park. If looking for GRP, go with a West 11, Otter or Turtle.

If you are wanting something bigger, go for a GP14 (can be GRP, too). Again, rarity value can be found in this size of boat, though possbly not in quite the same quantity. A Pacer has a nice open cockpit, and can be found in GRP, when found at all. A Mayfly or (bigger) a Seafly. The Leader is rather nice. If you want to go the ugly ducking route (though it really hasn't turned into a beautiful swan with age) how about a Skipper 12 or 14?

Wayfarer sized, you could look at the Wineglass (all GRP) or the Fairey Falcon (hot moulded) if you could find one.

I'm sure Ebay could turn up a whole host of other possibilities, and at this time of year, at very good value.
Rupert
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I would love a 100% GRP MayFly. I learnt to sail in ASC's Bosun's, MayFly's, Adventurer's, Topper's, and other assorted boats. Was there a 100% GRP MayFly made???? But the MayFly, like the Graduate (My first boat),and the Blaze (My current boat), all hold a special place in my hearrt...

Aaaaahhhh, isn't that sweet???

Jon

Anyone want to take a swing at me, when I say that a MayFly was great? (It sure was when I was 13 years old!!)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Her indoors is at around level 2 stage, so her next step will be into the Marauder which I think will be fine, and better than the hateful wrist busting Vision which was her last outing.

Otherwise I'm still hunting for another grp GP14 for a training boat at Hunts - I've got one, but the snow has yet to let me get to Cardigan to collect it.

Without wishing to go off on a tangetn, how old must these be to qualify for our cvrda meet? We have three classic/ vintage GPs at present, so there should be a fair turnout of these.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Back in the days when Hornets had sliding seats. I taught several of my girl friends to sail in the hornet. With in a month most were able to crew in a race. Remember when you are learning New skills it does not matter how complex they are as they are all new. So throw in a spinnaker trapeze etc they don't know any better and are therefore not worried by them. Happy New Year
Al
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Trish had never sailed before she met me and I set her on the path to redemption in the Merlins. She still needs reminding about gybes etc but as Alan says she doesn't know any difference although prefers Secret Water to Gannet. Having said that I wouldn't want to sail in a new Merlin - more than 3 controls I wouldn't have a clue what to do!! If we come to a disaster point (capsize) I accept all blame and so the relationship on the water prospers. Having said all this there are those silent female crew moments which we men recognise and learn to deal with. I wonder what she will think of the Enterprise when her shins are black and blue (all in the cause of originality of course).
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Teach her to learn to tack facing backwards! It makes roll tacking any number of boats much easier as you just say - move with me and ignore what the boat is doing!

Which brings us back to the point about taking the blame when you capsize.... cept you can say sorry AS you go over rather than after you have.

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Garry et al,
Have you ever sat her down with some paper and explained how and why a boat sails and then explained as you sailed what was happening, in 1966 I took a girl friend / fiance who had never sailed and between Feb and March turned her into a Silver Tiller winning crew we won easily that year too she sat out hard, trimmed well balanced well etc but then on a horse she did have good legs a great seat and good hands (Or that is what the horse thought!) so she was halfway there in transferable skills.
Alternatively sub contract to a sailing school and a good primer book.
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Was once picking up a FF mast from a guy on Hayling on Sunday Evening.

His daughter came back in from sailing with her new boyfriend....

she had just taken him for his first day's sailing - racing at HISC.

I asked him how it went....and he said fine...I asked him what he was sailing and he told me a Laser.

I thought/presumed he had been in a double-hander and queried this...and he said yes...a Laser 5000.

Could be a bit of a baptism by fire....come home....meet the parents....go for a little sail....in a Laser 5000.

Anyway, he seemed happy enough and as Alan says, if you don't know any better, you just get on with it.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Snowed in at epicentre of Southern Snow walking to catch a train (the things I do for England!).
Reading the previous posts I think I have found my problem, I take it too seriously! Perhaps the approach of Oddball in Kelly heroes is better, "Drink a little wine, smoke a few joints, catch a few rays, chillout" or something like that.
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah....Oddball!

The font of all wisdom.....and many a good quote

my favourite has always been:

"Always with the Negative Waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves"

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
roger

Post by roger »

Als post reminds me of my brothers very small very shy girlfriend when he first brought her home to our very boistrous noisy family home. She was a single child brought up in a quiet home. Poor girl soon got used to noisy family meals etc and THEN Andy announced he was taking her sailing. We assumed he was taking my Mirror but no the Hornet was the boat. Guess what she had no idea about sailing so jumped on the sliding seat and loved it. Including the kite and the three sail plane from Gurnard to Fishbourne. Baptism of fire maybe but they are still married and two of their sons have both made successful careers in sailing.
I wouldnt recomend a modern Hornet though far more sail area etc but any fear you show will be tranfered.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JB9

Post by JB9 »

A Jollyboat.

Uffa Fox designed them as a picnic boat as well as a well mannered racing dinghy.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Jollyboat?

Maybe....

I have always wondered if it was more a case of Fairey asking Uffa for a 'Picnic Boat'....

and Uffa giving them a 'well-mannered racing dinghy' ??

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
JimC

Post by JimC »

Personally I've always found Cherubs good for teaching sailing.