Some thing you've never thought about..

General chat about boats
JB9

Re: Some thing you've never thought about..

Post by JB9 »

Harrier 25
505 7163
Pat

Post by Pat »

A middle aged Merlin such as the Proctor 9B. The thwart is comfortable, boom high enough and the boat isn't too wide. Spinnaker (chute for ease) can be introduced later. Otherwise any other boat that fits those criteria depending on your sizes and weight.
I'm a strong believer in making things as warm and comfortable as possible for novice crew, as they can then concentrate on boat handling rather than how they feel. In this weather, a drysuit with warm underlayers is a minimum - even if you yourself have to go without. And don't stay out too long at first or in stronger winds.

A comfortable crew is a happy crew!

Pat
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

You can go anywhere with this....

For my money the answer is simple.....I agree with Pat....but,

Within reason, I think the best boat is the one that 'you' feel most comfortable in.

Novices' just always pick up your 'temperament' and 'feeling'. If you are comfortable and happy and enjoying yourself....there is a damn good chance that they will too.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the 'right' boat.....finding the 'right' time and 'right' conditions seems much more important. You have got to keep novices warm and interested. Boredom and Cold must be the biggest off-putting factors for novices

For instance, a problem I have had quite a few times with novices, is that I take them out for their first sail in a bit of a blow....more than I really wanted to take them out in. Are they worried - heck no - they are thrilled....come back dying to go out again.

The problem is that next time we go out.....there is bugger all wind and they just find it really boring after the first sail, which they always really remember.

Somehow at the end of this they seem to get it in their heads that it is therefore only worth it ....if it's honking and show no interest in going out in a drifter. They quickly loose interest.

If you go out first in low winds and build up, which of course has to be preferable anyway, they seem to have got much more 'into' it before they get the kick of a good old blast.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Just push them off in a lugsail dinghy alone telling them not to come back until they can sail it. Calmish day, sunny sheltered water preferably.
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

So an Oulton Rater may be a bit OTT then??
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Definitely yes! BTW there used to be a lugsail dinghy race (just a bit of fun.) including a backwards leg during Oulton Week, sadly I doubt you'd find many good lugsail dinghies for it now. Though if you could, Garry would for once be looking the way he was going. (Just a joke Garry.)
Simples.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I always try to run my RYA courses over three weekends, so there is a good chance that they will get a range of weather. And indeed - some punters much prefer Swallows and amazons cruising weather - while others are begging for a go in the 29er on their second afternoon! I'm lucky to have a range of boats available for my courses, and can pick and choose from Laser 13, Comet Trio, 420 and RS Feva depending on size and agility.

Cheers.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

But how many on these popular courses have read or want to read any of the excellent primers? Especially the older ones. The late Jack Knights once suggested that any child who rewad Swallows and Amazons should then be able to sail a boat.
All many want to do is charge around in flashy boats of all ages, and pose, capsizing is funny (No it is not, it is the ultimate sin.) Though on this subject so very few know how to sail away from a capsize so so many sail off down wind, and wallow along never getting dry and often breaking something. Wheras a close reach becoming broader as the boat gets more boyant is the thing to do.
But then modern education seems to think reading any book other than Harry Potter or similar is a bad thing.
Certainly a thumb through Ian Proctors Racing Dinghy Handling (Pub'1948?) anyone can crew or helm a racing dinghy "out of the box" as it were.
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

capsizing is funny (No it is not, it is the ultimate sin.)
Gosh, that must be where I have been going wrong all these years!

eib

now with not only 'original' sin to worry about but 'ultimate' sin too :-)
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Ed,
St Augustine of Hippo defined original sin as "foolishness, pride and disobedience" so maybe they are the same?
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well that certainly fits then.

I have always been remarkably good at all 3 of those!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Oh no not you Ed!
Simples.
roger

Post by roger »

AG looking for a good lugsail Dinghy? Look no further than the family of Scows from the Solent. All slightly different. Lets see if i can get them all?

West Wight Scow,
Lymington/Hurst/Keyhaven
Bembridge
Brading Haven

Rupert are there any others?

Still thriving at Yarmouth and Hurst not sure about the others but I guess they are.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Only to sail occasionaly and I would want a Broads type I have raced Peter Danbys West Wight Scow occasionally but the high spoon bow makes them cranky single handed two handed they float lower but this is really for the putative Lug Sail Dinghy race at Oulton in "Garbo" mode!
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I have toyed with building or having built a Frostbite Dinghy (See one of Uffas big books.) for those Garbo times.
Simples.