Free Merlin - Beaconsfield

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
cweed

Free Merlin - Beaconsfield

Post by cweed »

Ed
Site Admin

Re: Free Merlin - Beaconsfield

Post by Ed »

Gosh, I am tempted.....

Always fancied a Smokers

If it was either a turner or smart I think I would of rung up by now...

AG or others - fill me in about Keith Probert boats. Would look in my Merlin History....but have had to come to the conclusion that it has disappeared for good now - not seen it for long while.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Sadly Keith Probert Boats post date me and MR's I was long gone to Dragons and FD's and Denmark after late 1970, say sail no 2400, all I heard after that was from those I stayed in friendship contact with. Tghough I did sail the infamous Shaft handing it back to David Robinson having fluked a win with "Nothing wrong with the boat" - there was!
Fair bet though if it is still in one piece it was well built, they were, I heard quick boats too (All Smokers. - Phils hay day.) and all the better for non of that ghastly sapele ply and sycamore gunwale nonsense that makes Racing Dinghies look like something out of the Odeon Cinema not a proper "yot".
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Shaft came up on the forum a while ago.....

Can't remember if anyone knew whether it was still being sailed or not...

As you say....an infamous design.

There must of been similiar failure-designs in all the dev-classes, but can't think of any that became so well known for not working.

eib

ps might ring up to find more out about the smokers
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Shaft was in the long grass at Tamesis 30 years ago, stripped of fittings, so I doubt she survived. Looked amazing on the land - would probebly still look futuristic today. Shame she didn't work very well!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, I think I remember now....I think you mentioned her inglorious end in the previous post

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I have emailed and sent a text about this. It is not too far from home either.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

If its there and you want it.....go ahead.

I have also emailed just to tell him that I would pick up if it was a choice of that or going on the fire.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm sorry to say that all the info that I had pointed to both shaft and her sister ship suffering inglorious ends. A shame as 'Big G' (graham edwards) had put a lot of work into the boats but the bottom line was that they didn't work. As AG pointed out, they could be made to perform, on the right day and in the right hands but in terms of the quantum leap forward that the design was supposed to represent, the development had to be classed as a failure.

I was looking at some pictures the other evening of 'Batty Bat', which is luckily still with us and safely stored in a barn. The 'Bat' had the advantage that (again) on the right day and in the right hands, it really did offer a step forward in performance.

But be it in Merlins or 14s or any other class where tweaking is allowed (did I hear the mutter of "you mean most of the main supposed one designs managed by ISAF"!!!!) the issue remains the same. Tweaks may offer a better performance in one area, but often at the expense of loosing it elsewhere. Back to the Merlins.....if one wanted a boat for wriggling around on a narrow stretch of river in a raging force flat calm, then you'd not choose the latest Winder, for despite the modern boat being vastly superior out on the open water courses where the Championships are decided, they could be a bit of a pig in a drifter inland.

But the freebie Smokers is an attractive proposition, for if ever there was a merlin that did everything well, this was the boat. Better still, they are an absolute delight to sail, maybe even to the point of being described as the design that best represents all that is good about the class.

I know that others are looking at it, I just hope that someone gives this a good home.

D
David H
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

Tmp0001F.jpg
Batty Bat ready for lift off !
(38.17 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
3204 Batty Bat ready for lift off ..
Tmp00021.jpg
(49.29 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
davidh

Post by davidh »

Not sure if the 'Bat' is cvrda legal yet, if not can only be by a year or so. But what a cracking bit of kit and for a team with a lighter helm (all the talk in the bar of the King and Queen is that the boat didn't like too much lard at the back end) could still be a wonderfully quick boat - with one simple proviso.... you need some wind!

As with Dumper Truck (another Hamble boat that showed great promise and wild boat speed but only when the wind blew) this could be the boat that really tempts you to stay in the bar....when the breeze is less than 12 kts!

But.... hmmm.... I seem to recognise those photos! Was it you Saturday Girl in the Dolphin (Botley Square) yesterday - surely not the Linden Tree?

D
David H
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

3204 was built in 1979/80 so 30 thirty years old and in great condition .

Anyone have a Carbon Rig and sails they wish to donate , please deliver to the King & Queen asap ....
Attachments
Tmp00025.jpg
(47.82 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
davidh

Post by davidh »

Great, the Bat is fully legal BUT .....add in those carbon spars and mylar sails and the handicap will fall faster than the FT index.

Did you also see that on the MR website that the original Satisfaction is for sale - fully carboned up and with a £2500 price tag?

All this has to beg the question - why do it? If you want the carbon rig, raking, one string even, then do so - but do it on a boat that you can compete against other like minded (and rigged) merlins. For my own thoughts though, I see no place for carbon rigs in the classic scene.

But Saturday Girl..we need to meet and PDQ: Have an interesting 'snippet' for you that may well have a fairly significant outcome!!

D
David H
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

If its the BMW Oracle skippers job tell em i`m busy ...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sorry Saturday Girl,

Had I known that you were interested in driving a 90ft tri then I'd have put in a good word for you.

No, this is nothing as mundane as a short term glory job - this is something of REAL importance!

D
David H