Sailing In Ambridge

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
jonathan

Re: Sailing In Ambridge

Post by jonathan »

Well shivver me timbers, sailing was mentioned in/on The Archers tonight. But it was yottin' and not CVRDAing on The Am. Perhaps someone will now venture out on the river. Joe in a Tideway or Ed + Georgie in a Mirror or Moike in a Solo? What have script writers in store for us?

Dum di dum di dum di dum.........................................
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Today they are rowing! One day someone will raise a sail on one those River Am boats ................Mmmmmm, Am One Design? Wonder what it will be like?
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Johnathan, something that has a hole would be good - drown the lot!

Dumb-di dumb-di-dumb

Sorry and all the rest of it!
Hope we might see you at Roadford?
Cheers
Chris
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

But not Linda Snell, surely? Everyone needs a Linda to keep them sane in this world of grey suits, motivators/trainers,compliance officers etc. Free thinkers should rule the World.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Chris, not sure about Roadford, 75 miles is still about my limit at the moment.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There are boats in Ambridge!! :lol: :lol:
F207163_1-100 pedalo.jpg
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
(For sale on Boat&Outboards for £750!)

The line Tom Archer gives (by way of bigging himself up enough to get back into Brenda's knickers) is

"I was the under 10 pedalo champion of Arkwright Lake!!" :shock:

Betcha couldn't beat that one David even when you were a Hornet!? :P
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Thanks for sending me the link. Sadly I will have to decline - I am NOT sailing a Finn, even one for who all his geese are swans!.

Having just had the Honda fail it's MOT, badly, it is more a case of 'For sale..... Unit, Smokers Merlin, 505 (brooksey..do you want the boat back....)

At this rate, I will be looking to borrow the MOGO for Roadford!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Of course the original 'Cygnet' boat is at Topsham Museum.

was just there yesterday

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Ed wrote:Of course the original 'Cygnet' boat is at Topsham Museum.

was just there yesterday

cheers

eib
I knew this reminded me of something. In "Exeter to Newton Abbot - A railway History" is a paragraph about the Swan and Cygnet.

"The Swan and her tender Cygnet were a familiar sight to railway travellers for many decades. Built for Captain George Peacock of Starcross by Dixon and Son of Exmouth, the Swan being launched in September 1860 and the Cygnet following in 1861. The Swan was 18ft long and had 17' 6" neck; she was operated by sail or by "iron feet operated by a crank handle". The enclosed cabin was luxuriously fitted out and "somewhat resembled the fittings of a first class railway carriage". A large dining table (convertible into bed) was provided and Peacock's guests could catch their own fish for dinner whilst actually sitting at the table, by lowering lines through apertures in the floor. A cooker enabled the fish to be cooked on board; the stovepipe was inside the neck and smoke emerged through the nostrils!"

No notes about propulsion for Cygnet, was she rowing only or could she be sailed?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Well, here I go again. Lilian walks along the Thames with new "paramor" and no mention of any Merlins or A Raters tacking against wind and current. A golden opportunity missed by the scriptwriters who have got themselves bogged down on ishoos such as human A.I. and killing calves.

I must break this habit so will book myself in to The Priory Clinic who I believe have set up a branch office on Osea Island in the R. Blackwater. I could arrange smuggling runs of inmates necessities on evening of high tides. Just like the old days!
davidh

Post by davidh »

JOn,

now this is scary..Osea Island!

I stayed on the Island once, during one of my rare trips up east (this being something I try not to do too often..... bad for the soul) and it was rather a bizarre place, once owned by a member of the Charrington family (as in Bass Charrington) who had taken exception to the way in which his family was destroyed society with its demon drink.

To get to the island, one trusted in the line of stones and withies and drove out onto the mud and yes, there was a hardway that zig zaged about a bit but took you to the Island.

But a flat, souless and in the end, uninviting place to stay, par for the course I guess!!

D
David H
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Sorry, do not agree. You must have been on another island with a gibbet and wind flattened trees that looked like the opening sequence of David Lean's Great Expectations (its on youtube if you haven't seen it). When I have been (before the clinic was set up) it just seemed a pleasant place and well worth the £6m it was on the marketb for a few years ago. There was a recent disiter there when a light plane plummeted into it, but if one takes to the skies in such flimsy craft what can you expect!

Anyway whats here in the east that is bad for the soul? Now the Witchfinder General of Manningtree has gone our souls are perfectly good and safe.

And may you God go with you. Happy Easter/Passover

J
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

David H!
Shame on you, I kept a cottage on Osea Island up to 2004, it's attraction was the peace and quiet the lack of lights the safety the wildlife and the lack of people. You are right it has been turned into a clinic and I think a recording studio. The tides meant that people you wanted to stay had to the others had to leave PDQ! Not for everybody but if you like waders, and wuildlife and to eat oysters, mussells, sea bass, samphire, sea kale, and wild rabbit and being a hunter gatherer then its perfect. I miss it.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I remember the plane crash well it land 50yds from me arrived silently like a Barn Owl then themp, the AAIB Investigator who turned up was Chris Pollard a Tamesis member turned a grim affair into a party! Here's picture of it the copyright is mine
Attachments
Osea Plane Crash Chris Pollard AAIB Copyright David Child.JPG
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Simples.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I presume no one walked away from that one. My eldest got married a few months ago and his new f-i-l flies a little plane but after seeing that photo I am not so keen to go up for a bump and circuit to get a few snaps of the area. I might just make do with a few from g.l. At least in a boat there is not so far to fall and at Merlin or N12 speed the water still feels soft!