International 14 No.521 Tip Toes

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Fantasia

Re: International 14 No.521 Tip Toes

Post by Fantasia »

In the images above, you will see the detached and original bridge thwart (resting on the gunwhales) onto which the jib fairleads and snubbing winch were fitted. The shape in the centre would support the wich which is now fitted to the centreboard case. The later arrangement for jib sheet fairleads were dead-eye strops, one of which can be seen attached to the starboard gunwhale. This poses the first of many questions for her restoration: do I retain these later modifications as part of her history or do I return to her original set-up?

I shall, in due course, be very interested in gathering others thoughts about the ethics of restoration and conservation of such a craft. My initial feeling is to retain as much original material as possible, but also to respect later modifications and repairs. I would hope to do nothing to her that was irreversble.

I am fully aware that her restoration is not a commercial prospect.
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
International 14 521 - Tiptoes
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Almost a going concern, a realistic boat, congratulations, just a few walnut shells........
Simples.
Fantasia

Post by Fantasia »

Please explain walnut shells. I know that green walnuts are a source for wood stain (vandyke brown); but perhaps I am missing the joke?
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hi;

they are reputed to be the best way of removing varnish and other finishes from wooden boats - they are used like sand in a sand blaster, but are not vigorous enough to cut through the timber.

Use the search facility above and you will finf all you could possibly want to know about walnut shells.... but were afraid to ask. (Although obviously you were not afraid to ask..).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A previous thread may helpviewtopic.php?f=23&t=2650
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have a mast for an i14 just like yours, with the same arrangement of jump-stays and diamonds, including, interestingly the wider middle diamond. It was aquired who knows when to use on my ?type 14 (which I believe to be a British racing assotiation restricted class (14), which originally had a bamboo spar.

Your 14 looks just like an Uffa 14 my family had at Rickmansworth K293 "Perigrine" for which I also still have the original Cotton sails. One day I hope they might be reunited. Until then I'm saving them for my own project, but if you need a template to look at your welcome to have them for a while.

You are not far from the Harrow pub in Steep, where AG would more than likely regail you with tales of Wine Women and Walnut shells should you choose. Its also not far from Gosport, and is a place to which I intend to make a visit.

http://www.harrow-inn.co.uk/
Michael Brigg
Fantasia

Post by Fantasia »

Thank you for your offer, but I seem to have almost evrything that one might wish for the restoration of Tiptoes, which was built by Uffa Fox Ltd.

The Harrow Inn has been a large part of my 56 year life and you guessed correctly that AG has already been in contact and has suggested meeting there for a drink!
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena
clibb

Post by clibb »

I'm just up the road from you, in Farnham. If a drink includes a viewing of Tiptoes I'd very much like to be included.

Nick, Int 14 - 839
Fantasia

Post by Fantasia »

You and anyone else would be most welcome to come and have a look. It sounds as if we might get a small gathering. I'll let you know when I get her home and then propose some dates, probably in three or four weeks time.
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

Can`t wait for wallut shell brigade to arrive !
davidh

Post by davidh »

If all goes to plan I want to use the walnut shell treatment on the inside of the smokers.

If this goes ahead I'll document it fully and post the pictures on site

D
David H
Fantasia

Post by Fantasia »

I have started a new thread under the restoration and repair section to discuss my proposed restoration of this boat: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2684&p=22169#p22169
John Hartley
Wayfarer 7628 - Fantasia
50% Victory Z68 - Zarena