Tiller

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Due to an accident I have to make a new tiller for Merlin 111. It broke at a previous repair and really can't be fixed (the rusty steel screw gremlin strikes 111 again) so what I need to know is what wood - I was told ash is the right stuff and do Robbins have it? Any advice most welcome.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ash is the right wood, and yes, Robbins have it. I would think that many other places do, too, though.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi, Pick axe handles are made of Hickory and this makes a great tiller. They can be brought any any builders merchants very cheaply. Hope this helps.

Alan Williams
roger

Post by roger »

Ive got to make a new tiller too. I was planking at Netley at the weekend and the young lady who was in charge sat down suddenly when the rope she was pulling broke. Unfortunately she sat on the tiller.:(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

The hickory idea is attractive but think that pick handles are unlikely to be 4ft long.

How to confuse an Irishman?

Put two shovels against a wall and tell him to take his pick!!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Gary

We splice two together to produce a 6ft stave inorder to get the correct length to make longbows. If you scarf the join over surfficient length ,use epoxy to bond you should not have any problems.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Do you change the blade on the end of it? I have a vision of a Merlin with an Axe blade as a rudder...
Rupert
stotty

Post by stotty »

Salut a la France
There are some shovel handle minus the "t" bar which can be obtained up to about1.5m (5ft).
Used to be a favourite of old road lengthsmen before the advent of JCB's and flails.
If you are interested but cannot locate in UK mail me as my local diy store have loads of these in stock the French still use 'em - probably cost less than £6 - £7 I will bring one back late November - if thats not too late!
Tony S
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
roger

Post by roger »

Try a farm supplier like Mole Valley Farmers or scats. they will sell long 5-6ft handles.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Garry, I have ash offcuts that should suitable. Tell me length and cross section and I'll sort a piece if you want.
Chris
PS and Roger too if you need some!!
roger

Post by roger »

Chris, Funny you should say that I was going to call you this week.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Why am I not surprised Roger????
Mary

Post by Mary »

Thanks for the idea of an shovel handel, just the job to repair my wooden cart in the garden (got heavy handed when turning round too tight) Nice oval profile one found in Bricomarche tucked into the car amongst the wine.:).