Ideal Combination?

share hints, tips and experiences
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Probably an impossible question to answer especially for all those multiple dinghy/boat owners BUT:-
If you could have only two which two? (Monohull only)One should be race orientated the other more crusing friendly, easy & fast set up and launch etc. My initial thoughts are a Pegasus and a Tideway?:?:

Any thoughts?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

An impossible question....

depends on whether they should both be double handers....or single...or one of each etc etc...

depends on too many other variables, like where you race....what is your weight etc etc.

My rather large fleet was originally based on the fact that I wanted a single hander for the river (Firefly) a double hander for the river (Int 14 or Merlin). A single hander for big lake or Sea (Int Canoe) and a double hander for sea (Jollyboat). I never really needed anything for 'family' as such....but now that that is a necessity....then I guess the Tideway fills the bill.

If I could only have two of those....then that would depend on many factors....at present I don't really sail on the river anymore and I guess i would choose IC and JB. But if forced I would find it hard to drop the Firefly...and I suspect I would end up with the JB and the Firefly.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Firefly and...
The one I haven't sailed yet!
I've been sailing Fireflies for 30 years, and in that time have owned or sailed dozens of other boats. For a brief time they capture my imagination, but in the end, the next one comes along and my affections change! But the Firefly is still there...
But, if I had to choose only to ever have 1 other boat... The only ones I've ever owned 2 of, other than the Firefly, are the Minisail and the British Moth, so down to 2...I still actually own the Moth, having just got it, so British Moth it is! Never did like sailing on the sea, anyway.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

yep, too difficult to call. I suppose the Tideway for pottering, reading a newspaper and the ability to spread out an entire picnic whilst sailing.

Can't choose between canoes though. Rannoch for light airs and flat water. But after the summer's experience I can forsee an addiction to sea sailing and all out speed in the new canoe (not a classic for another 20 years).

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well if it's two boats each, I could have the Merlin and Bobbin and Sandy could have the Laser and a Lark and that covers all our current classes but which Lark of the four....
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Albacore with racing and cruising sails - Two handed racing and family cruising.

Single hander - Canoe, never had SO much fun sailing ever!

Currentl being a pond sailer, who was born and learned how to sail (?) on the sea there is nothing like sailing on the sea in a good force 5, SW'ly at Lyme Regis. The Albi would be FAB, the canoe would be suicidal!:D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If the whole family is allowed 2 boats each, we have plenty of scope! I'll let Kathryn have the Fairey Firefly (big of me, seeing as Saskia is hers!)while I get myself a new Rondar one...
Charlie has Toy Box the Mirror, and Pippa Princess boat the Puffin.
I suspect Kathryn would have a duckling, but if she ever reads this she may have her own ideas! I'll have my Moth, and charlie loves Fireballs. Pippa I'm not sure, but so long as it is painted yellow or pink she will be happy!
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

If it's two boats each I'll have to get married to expand the fleet and as all dinghy sailors know that is way too expensive!!! Their preparation is time consuming and the top coats are more expensive than International schooner. Always worrying whether they are "in class" as regards measurements ("does my spinnaker look big in this?") They like the shared mooring and at nights the cover always seems to slip to their side of the hull.
Pat

Post by Pat »

... and they often come with their own boats and expect you to jump ship...
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Hornet for Racing FD for cruising after all it was designed as acamping dinghy.
Cheers al
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Thank you for all the interesting comments. Can I add:-
Racing dinghy needs to have trapeze & kite
Cruising dinghy needs to be safe.
Both are for primarily for two, 1 adult and 1 child, currently 9 yrs old, but cruiser should be able to take 2 adults and 2 children.

Thank you
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ah Ha, that is quite different!
Cruising boat Fairey Falcon, racing boat Fireball, or, dare I utter the dredded sounds, 420...
Rupert
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Shame - just missed a restoration project Falcon on ebay!
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

JimC

Post by JimC »

Well, I guess the racing boat is my new to me canoe, so I reckon the cruising boat must be the '72 Cherub. After all I have done river cruises in my Cherubs...
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I reckon a Hornet with a plank does all the jobs.