Use for an old wreck

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Ancient Geek

Use for an old wreck

Post by Ancient Geek »

Someone has found a use for those boats that are too far gone these sofas from a wrecked YW Dayboat.
Attachments
Clinker Sofa.jpg
(59.99 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Simples.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Use for an old wreck

Post by Ed »

yes,.....where was that from?

my sister sent me a small photo of this from one of the newspapers a while ago.

I got the idea, but these are better photos.

I was looking for a wrecked clinker hull once. Was asked to find it for part of an 'art installation' at the Arnolfini.

You know how it is....when you look you can't find any. Didn't need to be recoverable, just in one bit (we turned it into a fish-tank.....but the fish died :-( )

Anyway ended up paying a guy in Penryn £200 for one - totally knackered. I was most indignant about the price, but he reckoned he got £200 a piece for them to go to the states as garden ornaments.

I felt even more indignant....but hey ho.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Sorry Ed I don't know any more than you except the pictures came from a girlfriend in the New Forest, a frriend of hers' who's into top quality kitch I think
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I seem to recall there were a number of definately old wrexked clinkers up for grabs at remarkably inflated prices on the Turks Boatyard just recently.

The two I looked at had ribs that were so flexible there would have been no extra carpentry neccesary. You just needed to throw down an underblanket and you had a ready made water bed!! :lol:

Since boating furniture is the theme, here is a cot I saw at the Wooden Boatshow some 17yrs ago now. The price back then would still be a shock today! Trading on the "Aaah" factor I think.
Dinghy Cot 2a.jpg
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
[/attachment]
Attachments
Dinghy Cot a.jpg
(50.8 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Michael Brigg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Michael Brigg wrote:Trading on the "Aaah" factor I think
Not in those shorts! :shock:
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

The price Michael is because it is no longer a boat or a work by a shipwright but it is now a work of "art" and that can be worth anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

A shame it's so new cribs I think should be old as prams my Grandchildren are now the fifth generation to use both the family crib and pram. Here's my Father in it in 1913.
Attachments
Alan Child and Brother Eric 1913.JPG
(28.02 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Simples.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Regarding the cradle I think that the split mainsheet tail is a bit OTT. A child of that age should be in line for some serious muscle development and should be sheeting (not a misprint!) directly off the transom. I do recall aged 12 crewing Enterprise 7542 built by my Dad, seeing the first of the self jamming cleats for the jib and asking if it was possible to get some being told "Just pull harder and get a bit of f*****g muscle". Therefore it was plain fairleads, Dad was a Navy man so I did what I was told.