Mirror 14/Marauder Story

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Mirror 14/Marauder Story

Post by davidh »

With the help of Nessa (who sent me a load of information) I have now started the Mirror 14/Marauder story over on the Bearfacemedia website.

It is very much a work in progress that will remain so as long as ex marauder and M14 sailors send me in more interesting details.

If anyone has any good pictures, or any other details, that will go well on the website, then please send it in!

Interestingly, I've heard from some of the few remaining M14 owners who'd love to join us at cvrda events but have been given the message that they are not 'welcome'.

D
David H
roger

Re: Mirror 14/Marauder Story

Post by roger »

I dont know where the not welcome message comes from. Its a lost class isnt it?
Is there someting historical I dont know about?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Roger,

It didn't come from me - all I did was ask for any material from old Marauder sailors.
The comment came from one of the people still sailing the boat, I think his club is Sutton Bingham.

It looked a fairly genuine comment though - very much as though he had been put off in the past!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

It most probably comes from the fact that on one of the first Roadford/Nats, the Marauder association approached us and asked us to put on their nats within our event, in the same way we did for the Pegasus (and offered to the Mercurys & Jollyboats too).

At the time, their association was still in operation.....they were not seen (yet) as a lost class and strictly speaking they were not old enough.

Some Committee were 'for' and some 'against' but in the end decided against.

Personally I always thought this was the wrong decision. I suspect this was the first year that the marauders were 'unable' to put on a nats......and in one small way, we might of been slightly responsible for the Marauders getting 'lost' in the first place.

I think we should certainly welcome any Marauder now!!

must dash

pouring with rain......and have to get up to Roadford

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed.

Thanks. I've written back to the owner (and I think Nessa gave him the same message, telling him to bring his Marauder along to a meeting and he'd find a lot of 'like minds' to give him a warm welcome.

In the meantime, I've had yet more stuff arrive today, all I need is a couple of wet and horrible days (like...a Bank Holiday) and I'll upload the next installment to the web

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

More pages and pictures added.

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

I met the chap from Sutton Bingham a few years ago when I was a winter member there. I encouraged him to come to an event but he said much the same to me about not being welcome. I thought I had put him right but and said he would be welcome but obviously not.
He would of course be welcome now.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I would love for marauders to come to hunts. we have a very knowledgeable chap at hunts who was technical officer for the mirros back in the day and he knows lots of useful stuff. he will be sailing a classic grad at our meet. he has seven in total.

sorry all lc, arm in sling and lazy.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
SaturdayGirl

Post by SaturdayGirl »

David have looked through pictures and only one of a Marauder under vacuum , the others are sadly missing ..
davidh

Post by davidh »

No problems - if you can let me have it I'll scan it up onto the site. I've found that I have a number of pictures of John Marstons boat (the red one) all completed and looking very good.

But all pictures will be very handy as would a 15 minutes interview on why the mould was naff - and what the answers were to fix it (you told us all at the time but I can't remember now)

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am very excited because I have managed to find and buy a full set of marauder sails - proper white ones with the bigger jib, not the red Mirror 14 sails. Even more remarkable, her indoors is proviidng the finance! She must be feeling sorry for me!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

No its cos I was nice to her when we sailed at Hunts :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Coincidentally the white sails arrived today. They are No1s, measured in 78 by someone called Greaves, and in very good nick- easily racing quality. The spinny is also good - a Macnamara and still vaguely crispy. The chap also very kindly 'threw in' a rudder, tiller and tiller extension.

Now all I have to do is get the boat finished....and the big plaster came off today! :D

When I can I will take a pic of the red jib overlying the white genoa - should be interesting.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World